Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Funnily enough, David, I was actually thinking of a series of eight static views (45° rotations) for a constant wind direction. A smoothly animated 3D effect would take far too much drawing and probably far too many bytes!

But a 3D app might not be as much help as you think, because the trim of the sails has to change substantially between the frames and it wouldn't just be a matter of modelling and rotating.

Can't promise a delivery date, either. Hopefully a few days, but I've got a real boat to get ready for the season as well! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 27, 2001 at 03:29 AM.]

Well, here it is then, and ahead of schedule...

Had a little help from Xara 3D for the hull, but the sails were modelled in my head so it's emphatically not offered as a race-winning guide to sail trim! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

<br clear="all">

Peter</p>

Hey that's pretty good. I'll have to get going on that hurtling earthbound airplane.

I have one question about sailing; If you want to go in a certain direction but the wind is coming from tht direction , how is that done. My guess is you'd have to go slightly angled off that direction for a ways and then angle on the other side of the direction for a ways ...sortof zigzagging your way. Just curious as I don't know much about sailing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My guess is you'd have to go slightly angled off that direction for a ways and then angle on the other side of the direction for a ways ...sortof zigzagging your way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a bad guess, David. And I just happened to have some useful Xara shapes lying around...

<br clear="all">

When a boat needs to make to windward, it has to beat (zigzag into the wind). Also known as tacking or sailing close-hauled. Modern boats with efficient rigs and keels can sail to about 30&deg; or so of the apparent wind. Less racey designs might point to about 45&deg;, but square riggers sometimes just a few degrees better than a reach. All boats also make leeway on the beat, which means that they're slipping gently sideways away from the wind. Efficient keels keep this to a minimum by producing more lift.

Note that apparent wind is not the same as true wind. Apparent wind takes into account the effect of the boat's course and speed. The apparent wind is both stronger and comes from further ahead than the true wind on the beat.

Peter</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 29, 2001 at 01:42 PM.]

There might be a sailor in me afterall [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Thanks for the animations

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com