Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

A friend recently recommended that I look at the newest release of Canvas9 (www.canvas9.com).
    I would like to hear from anyone out there that is using it now for a comparison: to older versions, to CorelDraw, to CorelDesigner, to Xara X, etc., for functionality and ease-of-use. NOTE: I am a long-time user of both Corel and Xara products. But I certainly would not mind expanding my "toolkit" with something of value.

Does it do what it says it can do?

Any significant drawbacks, bugs, etc.?

How good is Canvas's customer support?

What about its text formating abilities?

Does its performance drag down significantly when using a lot of "sprites" or when dealing with large files (ones with many complex objects or bitmaps).... assuming the user has Hardware which meets the specs recommended by the Canvas folks.

How well does it import, export? Can it interpret the layers of imported files? How good is it exportation of transparencies (alpha channel)? Can it export PNGs and TIFs with alpha channel.

How well did its presentation module work?

My initial reaction was WOW. Plus the ability of its mapping edition to deal with GIS formats could be very advantageous for me when dealing with Map Info output,etc.

I was also impressed with all their PDF documentation which was easy to understand.

[This message was edited by John Clements on November 09, 2003 at 10:59.]

A friend recently recommended that I look at the newest release of Canvas9 (www.canvas9.com).
    I would like to hear from anyone out there that is using it now for a comparison: to older versions, to CorelDraw, to CorelDesigner, to Xara X, etc., for functionality and ease-of-use. NOTE: I am a long-time user of both Corel and Xara products. But I certainly would not mind expanding my "toolkit" with something of value.

Does it do what it says it can do?

Any significant drawbacks, bugs, etc.?

How good is Canvas's customer support?

What about its text formating abilities?

Does its performance drag down significantly when using a lot of "sprites" or when dealing with large files (ones with many complex objects or bitmaps).... assuming the user has Hardware which meets the specs recommended by the Canvas folks.

How well does it import, export? Can it interpret the layers of imported files? How good is it exportation of transparencies (alpha channel)? Can it export PNGs and TIFs with alpha channel.

How well did its presentation module work?

My initial reaction was WOW. Plus the ability of its mapping edition to deal with GIS formats could be very advantageous for me when dealing with Map Info output,etc.

I was also impressed with all their PDF documentation which was easy to understand.

[This message was edited by John Clements on November 09, 2003 at 10:59.]

omr draw back... it was written for XP...

I did a tiny review of the program over at Pixelparity: Canvas 7 on Cover CD turned into Canvas 9 review and assorted info........

Hopefully some of the info will be of use to you. Personally for me XaraX is still the clear winner.

In order of favoritism and usefullness is:

XaraX
    RealDraw-Pro
    DrawPlus 7 (Serif)
    Canvas 9
    Corel Draw

Yes, believe it or not DrawPlus 7 is actually useful from time to time!!

Richard

http://www.ramwolffsworld.com/RAMWolffsWorld
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---