Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm using Photoshop 5.5 I save my images with the save for the web function, and once they're placed on the web they look hideous. Could anyone let me know the default settings for saving the image for the web in both .jpg and .gif? Any other opinions would be appreciated.
    IP

I'm using Photoshop 5.5 I save my images with the save for the web function, and once they're placed on the web they look hideous. Could anyone let me know the default settings for saving the image for the web in both .jpg and .gif? Any other opinions would be appreciated.
    IP

Anima,

there are no 'default settings' over all possible pictures.
    Depending on the type of drawing you will choose either GIF or JPG and depending on colors / complexity you may choose the other settings.

Apart from that, PS 5.5 shows in the "Save for web" dialogue what the picture will look like on the web.
    If this preview and the actual appearance on the web differ, it is usually not Photoshop's fault.

If you could give us an example of one 'hideous' picture, we will be able to better help you instead of guessing what could be wrong.

Wolfgang
    IP

animapreview.cjb.net
    The image should hold much more clarity then that, I believe now that it is the actually .psd file then the image settings when saving. I even upgraded to 6.0 just now to test it out once again. Any and all opinions would be appreciated..
    IP

Hmmm,

the picture is a bit hard to judge, because I don't see the original.
    Technically I would call it pretty good.

The GIF format makes it rather big, but it also keeps sharpness very good.
    Saving it as JPG should significantly reduce the filesize.

The enclosed picture is your image, saved as JPG from the GIF. It has only 11 kB instead of 54 kB (GIF) while there is no big difference in quality.
    It should even be better if you save it right from PSD.

Could you post the original PSD here, or mail it to me directly ??
    For now, I don't see anything wrong with your image, but still it might be different from the original ..

Wolfgang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anima_cover.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	15861  
    IP

first off I want to think you for being so quick to help me. secondly, please excuse me if I sound a little edgy but I think I'm getting rather close to insanity here because everyone tells me the image looks fine..but on my screen it is definitely a monstrosity. The jpg you posted looks perfect compared to my image that I saved directly from the .psd. I can send you the psd if you'd like, but would you mind letting me know how you saved the image? That way I may be able to fix the problem and not waste more of your time. This is the 3rd time someone has has taken my image, posted it on a webpage and it looks exactly how I want it to..yet, I can't do that with my own. Thanks again for your help, really.
    IP

First off: Your GIF at animapreview.cjb.net looks more or less exactly like my JPG. I did nothing to change or modify your image.

I simply saved it to my harddrive, then opened it in Photoshop (6.0). But as far as I can remember the process is the same in 5.5:

File - Save for Web ..
    Settings like in the enclosed picture, nothing special to it.
    The "50%" quality worked good for this picture. You might as well use lower values if the resulting picture still looks good in the preview.

Have you ever tried looking at your webpage at somebody else's PC / monitor ??

Wolfgang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saveforweb.gif 
Views:	262 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	11624  
    IP

I don't understand why I see such a disturbing image. I've sent you the actual image I see straight from my screen..it surely doesn't match the almost perfect image you posted. If you would, please let me know what settings you have for your screen resolution..I'm currently running at 1024 x 768 pixels with True Color 32bit
    IP

okay..I edited this message just to confirm to anyone whos actually reading that I have gone finally lost it..after reviewing my image that I posted from the url, and it coming up perfect on my computer..I'm guessing either my medication isn't working correctly is there is something wrong with my computer or its resolution settings. If anyone would be kind enough to let me know what they see and the resolution they're currently running on, I'd definitely appreciate it..

[This message was edited by Anima on May 15, 2001 at 17:11.]
    IP