Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Wacom survey

Wacom is running a survey on the products they bundle with their tablets. Hmmm, I wonder if they get a lot of requests to include Xara X?

Wacom Survey

Wacom is running a survey on the products they bundle with their tablets. Hmmm, I wonder if they get a lot of requests to include Xara X?

Wacom Survey

I asked for the full PainterClassic that they now give with it and demo's of XaraX and Xara3D that allow you to buy the full version at upgrade price. Like this Xara also wins a little money... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I don't really feel that XaraX is a good example to include with a graphics tablet. The very nature of the program doesn't take as much advantage of pressure sensitive characteristics as a pixel-based app would (that's not a compaint - it's just how it is). They probably want to give people programs that can show off the pressure abilities of the pen. Sure you can do some things with brush types in Xara X but probably not enough to make a graphics tablet company want to include it as a program to bundle with their tablet. Just my opinion.

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

hmm.. I have to disagree with you David.. I view xaraX as ther best drawing tool around in software, and the wacom pen is such a precise little beast that the two go together so very very well. Wacom bundle it.. I'm sure itll be the most used of all. Interactive dragging etc is MADE for the wacom.

I didnt really miss the lack of pressure sensitivity with xara 1-2, just being able to kick back in my chair, hold the tablet and draw with the pen interactively is enough for me. And the animation capabilities of Xara.. where you can draw each frame quickly, skipping back and forth between frames.. who needs onion skins. No MacDialogue boxes intruding. Bliss.

But now I have XX, I'll try the pressure settings too, I think.

Q.

I'll go in the camp that a pad is useful for much more than pressure sensitivity. That is a recent innovation when you look at the decades that tablets have been around.
    I couldn't afford one when I did CAD. I still couldn't afford one when I got CorelDraw v1.1
    I don't use paint programs for artistic work, just touch ups, mostly using menus.
    Now that I work longer hours, and I walk 2 unruly dogs, my wrist and elbow is so screwed up, I can't afford not to get one, just for the ergonomics.
    Plus it makes me 'cordless'

I will agree with you Quentin that XaraX would probably be a good choice to bundle with the tablet. As far as Painter classic goes , it's kinda neat but I haven't used it since I got the tablet. I guess I really like vector shape work as opposed to straight out painting with brushes. The Sensiva program I never even installed and couldn't care less about. Photoshop light could be gotten rid of (IMHO) and the other program that came with it is useless for me too (so useless I can't even remember what it was). I would like to see XaraX bundled with the Wacom tablet (also Ulead's PhotoImpact) but I just thought the company probably wouldn't be interested. But you never know.

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com