Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mouse or What?

No kidding. Sam's Club has the Graphire model for $80. Also pay attention to Wacom's website for specials. I got a 6x8 Intuos refurbished (total B.S.-the thing was BRAND-SPANKING NEW!)for about $135 shipped to my door, a couple months ago, but the sale ended. I think they're still worth twice the price they're asking($200 for a refurb 6x8).

A good graphic tablet WILL change your entire outlook with good graphics programs. There are things you can do with them that just ARE NOT possible with a mouse. Check out the added features with Xara, Painter 6, Photoshop, Zbrush, Illustrator, and other programs, that you NEED a tablet to access.

Pressure controls RULE.

Danny Huff
    http://www.asherrocks.com
    (I'm the guy who USED to have a lot of excess hair)

"I got a few little rugrats who visit me from time to time"

All I can say is chain that pen to the tablet ;-) ... you can get a new pen if it goes astray but then you'd have to have that shipped too.

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com
    ( owner of a grape flavoured Wacom Graphire 4x5 tablet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ... )

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

I have a Wacom ArtzII 12x12 and have been using it for about 4 years and it beats a mouse or trackball anytime. It was a little pricey, but it has been worth every penny.

An option that has not been mentioned yet is that you can get a puck to use with the tablet, so you can have the precision of it, or you can use the pen. The choice is easy, because you can switch instantly between the two devices. Be warned, the puck, even a 4 button, is a little pricey, but the advantages I believe are worth the extra money. The puck also allows more accurate tracing of bitmaps or original paper and that can be a major help if you do that kind of work.

Important tip:get the latest drivers. I had a heck of a time with the year old driver when I loaded Xara X. Once I downloaded the latest driver,4.60, all problems disappeared. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.

Luthier

[This message was edited by Luthier on June 27, 2001 at 05:37.]