Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse or What?

I was wondering what you guys use as an input device. I tried to draw my own Delta yesterday (by the tracing method of a real pic of someone very close to me), but my hands got very stiff. I recently changed from a mouse to a trackball for that very reason, but if I am going to do much drawing in XARA (after all, that is the point, isn't it)I will need another input device.

I have been considering a digitalized tablet. However, I find them very expensive and don't know how cheap I can go and still get decent hobby quality. Also, I don't know what to look for to be compatible with XARA. Any advice here would be immensily appreciated.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Is there something else I can/should/might try before putting out the big bucks? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ain't life a kick?

I was wondering what you guys use as an input device. I tried to draw my own Delta yesterday (by the tracing method of a real pic of someone very close to me), but my hands got very stiff. I recently changed from a mouse to a trackball for that very reason, but if I am going to do much drawing in XARA (after all, that is the point, isn't it)I will need another input device.

I have been considering a digitalized tablet. However, I find them very expensive and don't know how cheap I can go and still get decent hobby quality. Also, I don't know what to look for to be compatible with XARA. Any advice here would be immensily appreciated.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Is there something else I can/should/might try before putting out the big bucks? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ain't life a kick?

I'm a mouse man.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Early So Humble...

It's the bottom of the range Wacom tablet for me.

Could not do without it, once you have it.

Turan

Actually I own an Intuos A4 but I simply don't have the right skills. I use it from time to time for sketches and pressure-sensitive drawing, but that's all.

Some two years or so ago you would NEVER have seen me using a graphic tablet in any way at all - I just couldn't work out how anyone good use one to to do everything you can do with a mouse although they were obviously an advantage for graphic work but I didn't do much of that anyway. My other half had a Wacom Artpad2 and I just couldn't get on with it. I determined to stick with a mouse.

A while after that though, I had the opportunity to get an el cheapo tablet so went for it. It was one which had a tiny battery in the pen which kept going wrong and in the end gave up the ghost. Not a particularly good experience but it was enough to show me that I had to have another tablet.

I don't know how much a Wacom Graphire tablet is in the States but in the UK they are cheap, perhaps 74 pounds, perhaps about a $100. I would very strongly suggest you consider a Wacom Graphire tablet - I wouldn't be without mine now and it makes graphic work so much easier to control particularly if you're doing any fine work. I still have a mouse as a backup but it sits forlornly on the side of my desk most of the time looking very sorry for itself.

Tracey

Wacom Tablet(s) (I've now got three for diff computers I use, all 8"x10") -but then I drive cheap shitty cars to equalise the budget.. Children benefit greatly from using tablets so they discover that using the computer can be like felt tips.. I hate seeing them just doing chat. What a waste of pixels... and parents probably think a wacom is a waste of money (I dont - my kids have a wacom too)
    Look for a genius tablet - they are very cheap (they also make the mouses)

Got one for $99 at Compusa. If you start getting repetative motion syndrome, they really help. Still use a mouse and keyboard. I find keyboard shortcuts to be the real time saver sometimes.

TANSTAAFL
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

I found a 4x5 Wacom for $80.00. Of course, they did manage to soak me on the postage. It's these $#$$#@ delivery companies that are making out on internet sales. Shoot I just remembered I am planning to go to Sam's today. Should have done that first.

Anyway, I got a few little rugrats who visit me from time to time (I am still only 39+/- Gary). If I can't use it, they will get a huge kick out of it.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Ain't life a kick?

Just got back from Sam's. They have them for $80.00 (and I wouldn't have had to pay the exhorbitant shipping and "handeling"). And, I would have had it today.

Bummer

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Ain't life a kick?