Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am planning to buy a new computer which apparently has a feature called 'hyperthreading'.

Currently my pc is running at about 1.7 ghz amd athlon and was wondering if anyone at xara knows if xara X (classic) uses multi threading, and if I would notice an increase in speed and performance (or problems) with this 'hyperthreading' technology?

I am planning to buy a new computer which apparently has a feature called 'hyperthreading'.

Currently my pc is running at about 1.7 ghz amd athlon and was wondering if anyone at xara knows if xara X (classic) uses multi threading, and if I would notice an increase in speed and performance (or problems) with this 'hyperthreading' technology?

I thought hyper threading was one of those intel "hype" words - to help sell their processors... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I'm not an all expert on this, but a long time ago I read something about it at Tom's or Sharky about it.

As far as I remember it -

The idea being it that applications enabled for this can output parallell threads of data which can be processed by one HT enabled processor. Sort of like two virtual processor, but of course sharing the same cache, memory and bus (thus not the same performance as multiple processors.)

I think "chewed" through was the - key -... HT only really makes a noticeable difference when constantly being fed data (simply stuff), as in a server application or when decoding movies etc.

I'm sure others can explain it better than me - but as far as I understand it - HT would make very little, or no difference in a vector application even if it was implemented.

Hi Cif,
    I just upgraded my computer to Asus mother board which has similar technology (i think) HyperTransport, It is a 64Bit processor 2. GHz and runs equivelant to 3 Ghz machine. I am running XaraX1 and the speed is awesome. I had no problems with any of my programs.
    JIm
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

thanks for the info guys

Risto, I'm no pc guru, but i agree about it might being just a hype word. my xara files are becoming increasingly bigger and bigger (ie. more shapes, bmps and gradients being used) therefore slower performance - thought this feature might be the answer to fix this

Mac, what motherboard/cpu were you using before? How much shapes can you have in a grouped object before it begins to noticeably slow down? (ie. take maybe 2-5 full seconds to flip)

Clif,
    Sorry I mistyped your name last post.
    I had a durathon 2000+ 1.67GHz 32 bit processor with 1 gigabyte on board memory and GEforcefx 5600 with 256Mb memory. All the same peripherals just mew motherboard and chip. I have flipped 10 with new prcessor in 1 sec. Haven't really done much as I just picked if up friday at 6:00 and spent most of the time installing programs and activating Xp again.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

"If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark