Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

just had an idea for a small conference table (for the soho or small office). Made of granite, where part of the glossy surface has been removed with an abrasive sand blaster - I've already made several of these tables...in reality of course!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net

[This message was edited by jens g.r. benthien on September 06, 2001 at 10:41.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c-small01.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	1438  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

just had an idea for a small conference table (for the soho or small office). Made of granite, where part of the glossy surface has been removed with an abrasive sand blaster - I've already made several of these tables...in reality of course!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net

[This message was edited by jens g.r. benthien on September 06, 2001 at 10:41.]
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hey good idea [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just curious I used to use acetate for airbrush stencils,so what material is tough enough to be a stencil and withstand a sand blaster?

Stu.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Kiwi - Answer: Rubber

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Hi Jens,

You wrote most prolifically that "real" lihghting should appear in Randy's scene, but the scene of the table here has what appears to be a light suspended from the camera to flood the front of the scene.

Now, I agree that we should simulate real lighting conditions, but because we have the freedom to put an Omni light here and there to bring out detail is *idealizing* the scen, not compromising it. I remember when I was back in advertising, I put a piece of mylar (actually, a business card I had in my wallet) behind a pitcher of Wyler's lemonade to act as a cache light. The lemonade brightend up without an additional light, but you see my point? I might as well have put an inky-dink behind the pitcher. *No one is ever going to realize* that an artificial light was in the scene. Again, photography is called painting with light, and I do not want everyone to believe that modeling is called painting with handcuffs on.

Be free and sparse with your lighting, everyone. Make every light count and for these desktop scenes you're creating, you need no more than 2 lights-a primary (universal, directional), and a cache light for the opposing back side. That is a classical lighting setup for photography. If you use more lights, you are not positioning the ones you started out with correctly.

And yes, I've been a tabletop photographer since I was 19.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.