Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thelonious, you can get the tut here...
    3DLUVR
    IP

dawnre,

You did a great job on those tomatoes! As to the wall.. all you'd need to do is change the angle of the line where where the wall meets the table (or floor?) surface on the right side.. to the same angle as on the left side.

Maybe having the brush strokes on the table (floor?) going in the same direction as the wall/table(floor?) line would help too. Unless, of course, it's a table cloth and then some detail indicating that couldn't hurt.

Really, it's a very good job you've done. I don't know if I could do so well (probably not since I don't have a traditional painting background).

Hope to see more! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Jinny, thanks so much for your comments, I never painted on such a large background as the tut called for. So I didn't see the edge till it was posted.
    As for painting background, I never layed a brush to a real canvas, the most I ever did was draw my horses with pencil. Wish I would have but these mediums help us to look good don't they?
    IP

Just my opinion.

First of all I like it. It is visually interesting. It's not what I expect. So that's why I like it.

I realize this was an accident on your part. But really, to go back and change it would only make the picture look like what everyone expects. (unless satisfying other's expectations are your goal with this image. . . .clients etc.)

Sometimes it is nice to see the unexpected. If I were a photographer, I think I'd keep the angled shot and toss the ordinary flat table shot.

So to me, the angle enhances the composition and makes the image wonderfully unique.

Skewed angles are very useful to add drama and or interest.

Just my two pence,

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Thanks Athena, I appreciate your comments too. So my mistake just adds interests to the piece. I guess I'm just trying to paint to perfectly and I should just let it flow. I really like all the input I've had, thank you all so much...
    By the way Athena, it sounds like you're a professional photographer, are you?
    IP

What wonky wall.
    Will someone please point out which exactly is the wonky bit.

The whole world looks a little wonky to me.

T
    IP

dawnre and Athena,

I agree with Athena, there's no need to change anything.. unless you want a particular result. For instance, that wall behind the tomatoes could be curved. Then that line would naturally not be at the same angle as the other line.

Or, you could want the painting to have skewed angles for a more abstract and interesting effect.

Heaven knows Picasso didn't get things lined up like reality! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I don't think you made any "mistakes". There aren't any rules you need to follow unless those rules serve your purpose. (Rules like perspective, etc.)

Your painting is wonderful, so enjoy it just as it is.

That's how I honestly feel, and the suggestions were meant as just that.. something to think about or toss as you wish.

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Dawn, don't change a thing on this image. Tomatoes sweat, and so do I. The wall is "skewed," just as Cezanne would have wanted.

Gandy
    IP

Yes Yes Cezanne

I was trying to think who did the wonky table. That one with the odd perspective I kept thinking matisse but I couldn't picture it.

Tomatoes sweat? I think you're working your salad way too hard Gandy.

T
    IP

Oh, you guys! Dontcha get it? The poor girl worked on those tomatoes for a day and a night. It's the sweat off her brow! ;-)

And btw, Dawn - don't change a thing, please! I like how the wall and table look. It never occurred to me that it should be different. Heck! If we went changing every painting to be more realistic, Van Gogh's paintings would look like everybody's European vacation album.

Looking good, girl!
    -Eleny
    IP