Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Pixel selection

Is there any way to select every other pixel in an image in order to delete it? This technique is used in producing a translucent effect for DHTML web page design. See http://www.htmlguru.com for an example. BTW - this site is awsome!!! I got the pixel deletion technique from a tutorial at that site but he used Adobe Photoshop.

For a real treat (if Ure a web designer) download the tutorial from the above link and run it offline. Full source code (html, Javascript, CSS, etc) is included.

Bye,
    zitterbe
    IP

Is there any way to select every other pixel in an image in order to delete it? This technique is used in producing a translucent effect for DHTML web page design. See http://www.htmlguru.com for an example. BTW - this site is awsome!!! I got the pixel deletion technique from a tutorial at that site but he used Adobe Photoshop.

For a real treat (if Ure a web designer) download the tutorial from the above link and run it offline. Full source code (html, Javascript, CSS, etc) is included.

Bye,
    zitterbe
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

I played around with PSP6 ( or 7), whichever you prefer, and think I have found a solution to your question.

Create a small solid color ( 100x100) background.
    Go to Image....choose Effects.

Choose Weave.

Set the GAP SIZE, WIDTH and OPACITY to 1. Make sure your Weave color and Gap colors are different, and check FILL GAPS. Click on ok.

Enlarge the graphic...and using the magic wand, choose one of the colors in the background ( there should only be two colors...the one you started with and the gap color).

Delete that color.....VOILA! You now have a background with every other pixel chosen.

Hope that helps!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

SandDancr Studios

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    IP

My god, thats complicated. Why not just create a new layer and fill it with the 25% dither pattern, much easier. I checked out that website. If your trying to accomplish the screen effect..

1. New Image-->Transparent-->500x500x16 million
    2. Forground color-->White
    3. Fill-->Pattern-->Dither 25%
    4. Select all - Click the selection and it will select all the filled pixels.
    5. Apply patterns or sculpture effects to suit.
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

I am not aware of Paint Shop Pro having a dither pattern to use as a fill. It would definately be easier than the method I described earlier!

Where is it?

SandDancr Studios

Joelle

IP

I create translucency in PSP5 by creating a new layer and using the Flood Fill tool to select a starburst gradient with White foreground and Black background.

You can play with the layer blend modes to get the effect you want but the main trick is to reduce the opacity of the gradient with the slider (I usually go from 20 to 40%).

This will create a transparency if not a true translucency, but I know no other way to come close to the effect you describe in PSP.

Just an idea...

A3D [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP