Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Good morning/afternoon/evening where ever you are...

I've just insatlled Adobe PS6 on my but I find out that when I open it, it affects my internet connection....I have to close Adobe to be able to surf the internet...what have I done wrong pls??

Thanks

http://members.blackplanet.com/playayoungthug
    IP

Good morning/afternoon/evening where ever you are...

I've just insatlled Adobe PS6 on my but I find out that when I open it, it affects my internet connection....I have to close Adobe to be able to surf the internet...what have I done wrong pls??

Thanks

IP

Not EXACTLY sure about this one, because i haven't heard of this happening before, but...

When Photoshop 6 starts, i believe it tries to go onLine so it can connect itself up with the Customer Services and things that Adobe provides folks, directly through the program's interface.

I use ZoneAlarm, and when i first installed PS6 i was notified by ZA that it was trying to get out to the internet for some reason. Only Adobe themselves can say exactly why. I haven't read anything about this anywhere.

On the top of the Toolbar, you'll see a small graphic with an eye in it. When you double-click that image, it takes you to Adobe's Website - but you have to have an active connection to the internet. I'd imagine that if you're on Dial-Up, that starting PS6 might make your modem try to get onLine at the same time.

My best "guess" then, is that the conflict between the program starting up and your modem trying to get onLine at the same time is messing things up.

Have you tried both scenarios?

1) Being connected to the internet before starting PS.

2) Starting PS first, then trying to go onLine.

Let us know.
    And if no answers can be found here, i'd suggest Adobe's own forum for PS. Their tech guys frequent those boards and answer questions.
    IP

Thanx Mark ...the problem has gotten worse..lol....I was tryna do some work on PS and it kept coming up with this message...

"Photoshop.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the programme"

Being off or online that is.

After the message the PS window closes.

I uninstalled PS6 and installed it again and the first message I gt after finishing the insatallation is

"You currently have Adobe Photoshop's primary scratch and Windows' primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance, it is recommended that you set Adobe's primary scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive".

I've goten this message the 3 times that I've installed my PS6.

That reads like French to me.....could that be what the problem is? Right now I can hardly do anything before the window closes down....pls help me!!!

Thanx

PS5.5 did not give me any problem like this.

IP

Photoshop needs RAM and scratch files. To work without problems, you need at least 128MB, and more is better. But never give PS more than 65% of your RAM as this will cause problems with Win.

Scratch files are empty spaces on Hard Disk Drives on which PS can write info withwhich it is working. The less RAM you have , the more is put on your HDD, but PS always uses the HDD. These free spaces have to be in one block, and if they are on the same partition as Win (for example, and most probably C:\) you're in trouble because when Win is active it writes on the drive in a very chaotic way, blocking PS's work. And the more your Cdrive is filled, or the more progs you have running (in the background or not), the greater the probability of crashes. Therfore it is advisable to have more than one partition on your HDD, and even better to have two HDD's. (this is always better because they seldom go to the hard disk heaven together).

Under edit, you will find preferences. There you can set the RAM and the scratch files. These should preferably be some GB each, and each one should be on a different and defragmentated partition.

Example: I have two HDD's, and PS on the first one in C:\ Program Files. I have 512MB RAM from which I gave PS 300MB. I have nearly nothing running in the background: no virusscanner, no disk detector, no nothing. The first scratchfile is on the second HDD on a partition of 1GB that was created for it. The second and third are also on the second HDD, and the fourth is on another partition on the first HDD.

Win also has its scatch file on the second HDD, apart from Photoshop.

So best is to buy a second HDD and install that as slave, make new partitions on it with fdisk, and give PS what it needs to function, because I suppose your HDD, or at least your C drive is quite full. Never fill a partition more than some 70%.

Most of this info I found in the book "Inside Adobe Photoshop" by Gary Boulton. This is, without any doubt, the missing manual.

Hope this helps.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    IP

And something else I just found on another forum:

In preferences you can choose for Photoshop not to connect to the internet, and also, if you do not use Live Motion, you can go to the Photoshop folder and simply rename the aom.exe (for example: just add something like: changedaom.exe

Then PS wont bug you anymore.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    IP

Thanks for explaining that to our friend Erik. That pretty much says it all i think. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

Just wanna say thanks to you Erik and Mark too....I'm gonna fix the problem.

Thank y'all

IP

Your welcome. Some other time you will certainly be able to help me, so we share our knowledge.
    Long live the Internet.
    IP