Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have been a long-time PhotoImpact user. I started using the program with version 3, and later purchased version 6. On my old computer (with Windows 98 SE), PI6 ran beautifully. I recently purchased a new PC with Windows XP Home. All of my other graphics programs work very well on the new PC, except PhotoImpact 6. PI6 "appears" to work ok, except when it comes to saving files. I transferred several of my old PI6 files via CD from my old computer to my new one. Upon opening each UFO file for the first time, all seems to be fine. However, once I save over the original file, a temp file is created (with the extention of .#$#). The original file then is nullified to the size of 0 bytes. At that point, the original file is unusable, and cannot be reopened. This problem is *very* reproducible, and happens each and every time I open a PI6 UFO file. It even happens with newly created files made in PI6 on the new computer, then re-saved. I tried installing the PI6 update, which didn't help.

It also occured to me that even though the Ulead site says that PI6 is XP compatible, there might be some undocumented problem or such. So, I decided to look into upgrading to PI8, which I'd been planning on doing anyway. I downloaded the trial version first, before making my purchase, and now I'm really glad I did (I had already uninstalled PI6 a couple of weeks ago, so it is no longer on my machine). The problem I'm finding now is this: Although the files save ok in PI8 and don't get shot to 0 bytes, when I open one of my old archived PI6 UFO files, the same problem as before occurs. I am also finding that even PI8 creates temp files with the .#$# extension that don't get removed once the file and program are closed. I know that PI6 never did this to me prior to putting it on my XP machine.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is there a fix for it?

Thanks in advance,
    Kim
    IP

I think this is a complicated issue that may be related to WinXP and/or resource issues. Your best bet is to contact Ulead tech support. I am running WinXP and have no trouble opening and using UFO Image objects made back as far as PI4.0.

The temp files you see in PI8 may be from the AutoSave feature. AutoSave is enabled by default through the General Preferences (F6), but you can disable it by deselecting it. If something goes wrong and PI has to shut down, AutoSave saves what you're working on in a temp file until the next time you open PI.

But you should really contact Ulead about this since there may be some kind of odd interaction going on between WinXP and your computer's resources.

Stephanie's PhotoImpact Tutorials
    PhotoImpact 8 and 7 Classes
    IP

I have gotten these extensions ( .#$# ) in the past when saving. I was saving jpg's or bmp's and thought at first they were totally corrupt. For some reason I tried just renaming the file manually (like right licking the icon of it in My Computer and renaming) and changing the extension to what it should be. Then it is fine and can be opened. I don't know how this affects .UFO files though

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg
    IP

Hi Dave, Good to see you...
    Where've you been?

Enter the PhotoimpactZone!
    IP

Thanks for your reply. I did contact Ulead Support (by phone and by e-mail), and they were not able to offer a solution. I also posted this problem on another PI message board, and one person mentioned that this same issue occurs on *some* machines (not just isolated to Win XP), but there has not as of yet been a resolution to the problem.

This problem occured when manually saving the files, and I tried uninstalling PI and cleaning out the registry of all Ulead and PI references, then reinstalling the program. I did this twice, but neither time did it help.

I finally gave up for the time being, and am using PSP until there is a resolution to this problem.

Honestly though, I *do* miss my PI. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks again for your help.

Kim
    IP

Thanks for the followup, Kim. I wish that you'd been given a solution to this problem. I'd hate to give up my PI.

Stephanie's PhotoImpact Tutorials
    PhotoImpact 8 and 7 Classes
    IP