Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanner

I know this is not really a Xara topic, but I have to buy a new scanner. Does anyone know and uses the EPSON PERFECTION 1640SU/PHOTO? Any experiences with it?

I know this is not really a Xara topic, but I have to buy a new scanner. Does anyone know and uses the EPSON PERFECTION 1640SU/PHOTO? Any experiences with it?

Hi Erik

Think I'm one model down from that (mine's an Epson 1240U Photo). I like it a lot - haven't used the slide and negative holders (same for the whole range?) all that much (just for a few negatives), but the film adapter really does work. If there's anything else in particular you'd like to know (I appreciate your question was about the 1640), please ask!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

That's what makes me suspicious. So I'd like to know what can be set manually, and what not?
    What does the scanner do that I can't adjust (control freak)? Because "intelligent" software never seems to do what I want it to do.
    For example: can I adjust the contrast, colour, gamma value,...? Do you like the colour depth? Would you choose it again if you had to buy it now?
    And what are the maximum dimensions for print I can get when I start from a 24x36mm slide? 800% would give appr. a 200x300mm photograph, 400% would be only 100x150mm (4x5 inch).
    Is the transparancy module limited to these small slides, or is it possible to use bigger ones too? (I have 4x5 inch slides from some works that were taken for catalogues).

Thanks Peter.

Remember I'm talking about the 1240U Photo, but here we go:

I never use the Epson Smart Panel software (not enough options) but always import straight to Photoshop (LE) with the Epson Twain Driver. See below for rundown.

Sure, I like the colour depth, although a recent PC Pro review rated my 1240 as not quite as good as the previous 1200 for colours. In some respects it performed better, and was still rated best of class. I'd certainly buy it again, and the 1640 must do something better yet to justify its price tag!

The film holders allow you to scan film up to 4x5 inches. It's not percentage area that defines the quality of the result, but the resolution of the scan. (True dpi up to 1200x2400 and interpolated up to 9600.) Follow this link for a photo scanned at 720dpi (as far as I remember) from a not-very-good 35mm negative with pretty much stock settings. (JPEG, 841x1235 pixels, 177811 bytes, re-exported from Xara X at 90%.)

Sorry, there seems to be a problem with the file - I'll try and sort it ASAP!

Sorted! For some reason XX exported a blank 'JPEG', and I had to restart the computer to get one you can see!

Here's a run-down of the options for the Twain Driver. It was a lot quicker to quote from the help files from the dialogue boxes than try to describe it all in my own words but, on the grounds that I could be helping Epson to make a sale, I don't have any hang-ups about doing that here...

Image Type:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You can use the Image Type pull-down list and Image Type dialog box (accessed through the Image Type button) to optimize the quality of your scans for certain types of images such as OCR (text recognition), full color, and grayscale (varying shades of gray from black to white). Select one of the following predefined settings from the Image Type pull-down menu or click one of the settings available in the Image Type dialog box to view more details. The availability of predefined Image Type setting depends on your scanner model.

Image Type pull - down menu

Color Photo (42-bit)
    Color Photo
    Color Document
    Black & White Photo (14-bit)
    Black & White Photo
    Black & White Document
    Illustration
    Text/Line Art
    Text (Background Removal)
    Copy & Fax

Image Type dialog box

Click a setting name in the list below for a detailed explanation of the settings available in the Image Type dialog box.

Image Type name
    Pixel Depth
    Scanning Mode
    De-screening
    Color Smoothing
    Auto Exposure Option
    Dropout
    B / W Option
    Halftone

All rights reserved. Seiko Epson Corp.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Destination:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You can use the Destination pull-down menu and Destination dialog box (click the Destination button to access) to optimize the quality of your scans for certain types of output as described in the option names. Select one of the following predefined options from the Destination pull-down menu or click the settings available in the Destination dialog box to view more details.

Destination pull-down menu

Screen/Web
    FAX
    OCR
    EPSON Stylus Printer (Fine)
    EPSON Stylus Printer (Photo)
    Laser Printer

Destination dialog box

Click a setting name in the list below for a detailed explanation of the settings available in the Destination dialog box.

Destination Name
    Resolution

Unsharp Mask on or off.

Resolutions up to 1200x2400 true and a lot higher interpolated.

Image Controls:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Clicking the Image Controls button opens the Image Controls dialog box, where you can make the following settings. Move the slide bars or click the left or right arrows to change the settings. You can also change the Image Controls settings by entering values in the setting fields.

Click a setting name in the list below for a detailed explanation of that setting.

Exposure
    Gamma
    Highlight
    Shadow
    Threshold

Tone Correction

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Clicking the Tone Correction button opens the Tone Correction dialog box, where you can correct the tone curve for an image. The tone curve represents a contrast value in the relationship between the tone of an original image and its reproduction on monitors or printers.

Click a setting name in the list below for a detailed explanation of that setting.

Tone Curve Name list box
    Tone Curve editor
    Channels
    Output settings

Clicking the Save button allows you to name and save your customized settings. The effect of changes made in the Tone Correction dialog box appear in the Preview window.

Color Adjustment:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Clicking the Color Adjustment button opens the Color Adjustment dialog box, where you can adjust certain color attributes.

Gray Balance Intensity
    Saturation

Settings

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Clicking Settings button opens the Settings dialog box, where you can save all of the currently selected settings as a group of custom settings with a name you provide.

To scan a single image using several variations of settings, first make and save each group of settings. Then hold down the Shift key while clicking the custom settings you want to select in the User defined settings list. After selecting all of the settings you want to use when scanning, click Batch Scan. The scanner scans the image once for each group of settings you have selected.

Configuration:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Clicking the Configuration button displays the Configuration dialog box, which can be used to make settings that affect the Preview window.

Save Preview Image and Settings
    Fast Preview
    Automatic Preview
    Auto Exposure on Preview
    ICM, ICM/sRGB (for Windows), ColorSync (for Macintosh)

Peter</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 07, 2001 at 04:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 07, 2001 at 05:09 PM.]

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on April 07, 2001 at 05:30 PM.]

I appreciate you put so much trouble in writing all this information. It really looks like it is a good scanner (I also followed the link).
    I'll now start with this one in mind, and the 1640 will have to come up with some very impressing features to compensate the price difference.

Thanks again. You helped me a lot.

Hello

Be careful with these 1600dpi scanners. Most cheaper ones use 2 800 dpi CCD arrays to give the effect of 1600dpi. They are not true 1600dpi.
    I am trying to remember a site that gives the explanation to how these scanners work.

Mike Engles

Don't know about that, Mike, but this is what Epson say:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>With a true optical resolution of 1200x2400dpi...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite sure what you'd class as 'cheaper' scanners, but I'd have thought these were pretty reasonable!

Links to Epson UK site (with further links to specs and press reviews):

http://www.epson.co.uk/sohoprod/imag...nner/perf1240/

http://www.epson.co.uk/sohoprod/imag...nner/perf1640/

Peter</p>

I'm very happy with mine - it is quick, the transparency scanner does a reasonable job.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Hello

I still cannot remember where I read about these scanners. There was a thread about them on
    comp.periphs.scanners when they first came out.

Perhaps Deja.com could help.

: RICK KELLY (kelly5463@home.com)
    Subject: About the Epson 1640 series scanners
    Newsgroups: comp.periphs.scanners
    View complete thread
    Date: 2000-12-03 15:00:33 PST

I sort of gave up on flat be d scanners for scanning 4x5
    slides when it became clear that the Epson 1600 was a phoney
    1600 dpi, the claim of a hardware 1600 dpi being a gross
    over-statement. So I've been off line, thinking more in
    terms of choking up the money for drum scans, or watching
    the truely high resolution 4x5 transpariency scanners and
    praying nightly that the price will suddenly be reduced 50%.

Has any of this been improved on in the 1640, which claims
    1600x3200 dpi, or is it more deceptive advertising by Epson
    (like their claims to "archival prints" on the 1270
    printer), which, in many cases, fade to orange in weeks. Is
    it a real higher density CCD, or the old stacked ccd trick
    of the 1600?
    Rick Kelly

This is what I have found.

Mike Engles