Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I really like the ability to export portions of drawings as bmp or jpg files. From my experiments I can't do this with wmf files. But I would like too!
    I have to copy the selected objects to the clipboard, create a new file, paste, and save as wmf.
    Does anyone know what file types this export selection works with?

I really like the ability to export portions of drawings as bmp or jpg files. From my experiments I can't do this with wmf files. But I would like too!
    I have to copy the selected objects to the clipboard, create a new file, paste, and save as wmf.
    Does anyone know what file types this export selection works with?

Hi woodstudio,
    I'll take a crack at this one. Here's a possible workaround and in the words of G.W. Bush, it's less impractical than making a new file everytime you want a metafile type.

This works best, if the drawing isn't complicated to begin wth, but will work with anything.

::n your drawing board, choose the objects you want to export, copy them to the clipboard.

:::Go to "Utilities / layer gallery" or F10, and click on NEW layer.

::: Paste your stuff to a new layer. CTRL/Shift-V (in place) or Ctrl-V.

Now, click the EYE icon in the other (OLD) layer with the original composition in it, to hide it (it must be done or it will export as well), the other box locks the layer too in case you need to do that as well.

:::Select the components on the new layer and export.

This may sound too complicated, but it works... especially if you need to keep certain objects inline and in check as you go along. Not possible if you have to jump to a new page all the time.

Hope that helped, Wayne

Wood
    I must admit that I find the same thing when exporting .wmf. (i.e I have to copy to clipboard and paste on a new page and export from there)
    I can't get waynes' method to work as it exports all shapes wether there visible and edibale or not.
    You might like to try .ai export as I believe this now works by exporting the visible layer and it also gives a better vector than .wmf but of course it depends on which program you want the file to import into.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can't get waynes' method to work as it exports all shapes wether there visible and edibale or not.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Huh? Of course it works. I wouldn't have posted the suggestion if it didn't... but, if this is about stepping on toes, i'll take a powder.

BTW, welcome back from Tibet... eric

I meant no offence. I only stated that if I attempt to to export a .wmf file, all objects, whether visible/ editable or not get exported.

As for Tibet you can blame Gary for that:-)

Regards
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host