Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X2 progress

Hybrid View

I'm sure people are interested in what's happening to Xara X2.

We are working on it. X2 has involved some core internal re-design work to improve the internal architecture, and to implement a plug-in framework for filters. The downside is that this takes time. The upside is that we have a better design that makes it easier for us to add new features and third parties to add new filters such as PDF. The fact that we're thinking medium to long term this way (instead of just adding lots of easy quick improvements) shows our dedication to the product. It is all part of our plan of opening up Xara X to allow more outside involvement, which in the end will increase the rate of change and improvement.

One of Xara's great strengths is its internal clean design, which is reflected in its simple UI and speed. Most will agree these are the most important Xara X benefits.

I can't give a precise date for X2 yet, but it is actively being worked on and it will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Hmm -- not sure what a print preview would show you that you don't already see by just looking at your drawing? Xara has always been 100% WYSIWYG, even before they were called "Xara"... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Anton

Hello

I bought the beta of Xara Studio, when I saw it at the Windows show in early 1994. It's abilities and speed were amazing then and in many ways still are now.

Mike Engles

Will the next version of Xara make use of newer techologies, like 64 bit OS and dual core processors? I am building a new machine based on a client request to handle a bitmap file that when complete, will be 10.6 gigs at full size and resolution.

I have my doubts whether X1 can handle such a beast.

And although, I commented in the other thread, I would still like more user control over the interface. I would like to assign my own hotkeys and create sets of my own macros.

Thanks,
    Sheff
    My Site

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the information. It is good to know that the worlds greatest vector graphics program is being updated.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Klaus -- just FYI, your first link (http://www.klausnordby.com/xara) returns "Forbidden".
    Anton

Hi Charles,

there is maybe another form of programming possible, making XaraX2 like Calamus back in the old Atari ST days. Leaving the main program mostly unchanged, adding modules like Cad, 3D, Bitmap editor, multiple page editing, Flash etc. Every module works in his own box like in Calamus. The modules may be sold apart.

just an idea...

viking

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Funny Steve, no use getting our hopes up. Release dates can slip by 6 months to a year or more. At least they are working on it & that is the main thing. It seem like Xara has become a priority now. Awesome!

Sounds like this is a substantial upgrade too. It's great news indeed. Take as much time as you guys need. If Speed & stability are focal points, everything else will build nicely from a foundation like that.

With X3d generating funds for X.Ltd, it's good to see the flag ship getting a much need retro fit. She's been moving along slowly & (but at least stealily) for a while now. Up'ing the ante eh?

Thanks for the update Charles.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

Super news, especially the bit about PDF's.
    Thanks Charles
    Design is thinking made visual.