Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: IE vs. Netscape

This question doesn't concern Flash as much as HTML frames but a lot of us use frames for our Flash movie pages. I'm working on a site that is comprized of many nested frames. There is a Flash menu at the top of the screen with an HTML layout for the rest. It looks fine when viewed with IE but Netscape has a totally different idea of what this page(s) should look like. I can usually deal with the differences between Netscape and IE when dealing with tables (by using GIF spacers) but this whole thing with frames is killing me. Does anyone know how to combat this problem?

To view the site "in progress" to see what I'm talking about, go to www.stingerweb.com/stingerwebresources. It's going to be a resource site for other web designers. "You better believe that Talk Graphics will have an honorable mention"!

Thanks in advance,

Stinger
    IP

This question doesn't concern Flash as much as HTML frames but a lot of us use frames for our Flash movie pages. I'm working on a site that is comprized of many nested frames. There is a Flash menu at the top of the screen with an HTML layout for the rest. It looks fine when viewed with IE but Netscape has a totally different idea of what this page(s) should look like. I can usually deal with the differences between Netscape and IE when dealing with tables (by using GIF spacers) but this whole thing with frames is killing me. Does anyone know how to combat this problem?

To view the site "in progress" to see what I'm talking about, go to www.stingerweb.com/stingerwebresources. It's going to be a resource site for other web designers. "You better believe that Talk Graphics will have an honorable mention"!

Thanks in advance,

Stinger
    IP

Hi Scott,

First off, have a look at your source...I'm guessing you made it in Dreamweaver? It's a little off. The first thing I noticed was that you start off with a FRAMESET defining 3 rows, two of which are set to a height of 50%, and the middle which is set to a height of 750 - now, already we're running into inherent logic problems. Not a huge problem unto itself (since browsers do resize based on a priority given first to definite sizes, as opposed to variable sizes), but worth looking into. The next thing I noticed was the fact that you defined 3 rows, but have 5 actually written out in that frameset.

The same sort of errors are there throughout - try cleaning up that code and see if that helps.

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    <font face="arial" size="2">
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    Senior Web Designer
    http://www.blab.com
    </font>
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

Thanks, I never noticed that I had the framesets so messed up. I was concentrating too hard on adjusting sizes. I'm going to have to redo this page anyway because the graphcs are way too big for 800x600. I'll post here again after I make the changes you recommended.

As always, thanks for your help.

Scott "Stinger"
    IP

I have sat here for several hours trying to figure this mystery out but to no avail. I initially started writing the code by hand but finished it with Dreamweaver. So I went ahead and wrote it all by hand and it still didn't work in Netscape. I even tried to make a seperate frameset just for the Netscape browser (Netscape 4.7 is what I was testing with) but no matter how I tried to change the frameset, it never lined up properly.

I think I'll just come up with a different layout all together for Netscape using tables.

Thanks Deep and everyone else who read this posting.
    IP