Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Mobile Phone

I have spent about 10 hours on this drawing but it still looks fat when I used the bevel tool for the outside body. Tried to do the same drawing without bevel tool but it looked too 2D in appearance.

Another question why does the bevel tool leave small spaces in the sharper corners which the edit tool can not get rid of?

Super brain here forgot to click the attachment button
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished_Mobile.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	4241  
    Design is thinking made visual.

I have spent about 10 hours on this drawing but it still looks fat when I used the bevel tool for the outside body. Tried to do the same drawing without bevel tool but it looked too 2D in appearance.

Another question why does the bevel tool leave small spaces in the sharper corners which the edit tool can not get rid of?

Super brain here forgot to click the attachment button

Nice work Albacore [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I don't see any of the gaps you mention though.

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

Looks like a great phone to me. I don't see any gaps. Phone has effective shading. Nice depth.
    - Neil

It looks fine to me. But if you think it's looking fat due to the bevel, it's probably due to using an external bevel. This adds x number of pixels to the original shape. Try using an external bevel. The attachment below shows the same shape with external & internal bevels.
    As for your observations re small spaces, could you post a close up of the problem.
    One final point: The light source on the upper part of the phone appears to be coming from the right, whilst the lower part & shadow indicate a left handed light source.
    Egg

Name:	!moby.gif 
Views:	265 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	3596  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I took the top right habd corner of main body of the phone. As you can see there are two very small missing coloured portions where the line joins the bevel.

Yes, in the drawing I have used nearly all internal bevels but the main body is external. Yes, I noticed the changing light source once you mentioned it. Super brain strikes again. Thanks for your help

Name:	Missing_Colour.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	16478  

Yes I see what you mean. I've never noticed any spaces before and I've tried to recreate yours, but I can't get any gaps. Could you post a .xar file containing the above shape, with the bevel and I'll see if it's reproduced on my machine.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Albacore,

maybe I'm all wrong here, but do you mean the two portions that I marked below ??

If so, I believe they are not 'gaps' or 'missing portions' but simply highlights of the bevel.
    Like glossy edges. And intentional as such.

If you still want to get rid of them, playing with the bevel elevation should do the trick ...

Other than that I cen see no gaps or so in your example [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Attached Images Attached Images  

I am not sure if this is the problem, but you might try the Miter Line Join (^) and see if that gets rid of the gaps.

Or the Rounded Line Join.

I like the phone illustration. It looks very real.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Right in one Wolfgang, the two areas that you marked were the missing areas. The only thing that I did which was probably incorrect was that I started with Lines-None and after applying the bevel I selected Lines – None again, which might be the mistake, although I have done this many times before.

Egg I have attached the body for you to mess around with and as you will find that when you use the shape editor tool to get rid of the white areas it distorts the shape of the body so much to make it unusable. This only applies to the top area not the bottom one which I can get rid of. The only reason I asked this question is that it is the first time I have noticed it and I thought that the bevel tool applied a type of bit-mapped fill to the bevelled area.

Gary, as you can imagine I messed around with all the join types and I can get rid of the lower one of the 2 missing areas, using the shape editor, but not the top one.
    Attached Files Attached Files