Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: _Level

I was reading a book about Flash and it said that: if you want to play a movie clip say "cat" on a certain level you write: _level2.cat.play()
    meaning that cat has to be on level 2

my question is, how can I place the movie clip, cat, on level two, and how do I write the action for the button to trigger the movie clip, cat.

thnaks a lot
    Q
    IP

I was reading a book about Flash and it said that: if you want to play a movie clip say "cat" on a certain level you write: _level2.cat.play()
    meaning that cat has to be on level 2

my question is, how can I place the movie clip, cat, on level two, and how do I write the action for the button to trigger the movie clip, cat.

thnaks a lot
    Q
    IP

Eek,.. levels. Ok,.. here's my understanding. As far as levels go, they have to do with the directory structure, within which you have the files you're using for your movie. For example, a file on "_level1" is going to be one "folder level" up from a file on "_level2". Flash uses these levels as a way of referencing the file. In this sense, you don't really "place" a movie clip on a level within the Flash IDE (correct me if I'm wrong fellow members) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As for your specific example, it would help if I had an idea of exactly what your trying to do.

This link is a pretty good chart outlining how movie clips on different levels are referenced.

http://www.flashbible.com/members/TellTarget/Paths.htm

Write back and tell us some more... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

well, unfortunately, that's not exactly how levels work. levels are actually the load order of the movies. for example, movies, by default, are loaded onto level 0. if you use the load movie command, you can load further movies on top of the first one, or replace it by loading a movie onto the same level. imagine each movie as a piece of paper. then using the load movie command would basically stack the paper in the order you specified. so if you started off with movie a, then loaded movie b on level 10, then loaded movie c on level 4, this is sort of how it would look:

b
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    c
    -
    -
    -
    a

if you have transparent portions of your movie, the movies below would show through. if the movie background was opaque, though, then nothing would show through (again, much like pieces of paper).

hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    <font face="arial" size="2">
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    Senior Web Designer
    http://www.blab.com
    </font>
    hth,
    Deep (just a guy)
    --
    Pradeep Kumar Nair, B.Math
    CTO
    9 Story Entertainment
    http://www.9story.com
    IP

There you have it.

I was thinking about it differently I guess. I haven't used levels all that much in anything I've done.

Leave it to a mod named Deep, to know a lot about levels. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP