Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: emf/wmf files

Hi

A silly question no doubt I have both v4 and V5, I have scanned a logo and saved it in wmf format in the hope of importing it into 3d to create a "simple" spinning logo- spinning on vertical axis.

It refuses to import telling me it doesn't contain outlines.

What ca I say

Help seems appropriate.
    Am I doing something wrong or am I using the wrong program or shouldI manipulate the graphic is some way or just give up?

Many thanks

Ian

Hi

A silly question no doubt I have both v4 and V5, I have scanned a logo and saved it in wmf format in the hope of importing it into 3d to create a "simple" spinning logo- spinning on vertical axis.

It refuses to import telling me it doesn't contain outlines.

What ca I say

Help seems appropriate.
    Am I doing something wrong or am I using the wrong program or shouldI manipulate the graphic is some way or just give up?

Many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

scanning an image and just saving it as .ai (or .eps) does not make it vector format (outline) automatically.
    WMF and EPS (and probably others as well) can hold bitmap-data as well as vector-data.

And X3D will accept pure vector only.

You will have to 'trace' your logo first, using the Bitmap Tracer of Xara X, Adobe Streamline, Corel Trace or any similiar program.
    After this step you will most likely have to clean up the image to get a good and useable outline.

In most cases you will get better results - and maybe faster as well - if you trace over your image by hand.
    Just import it into Xara X and redo the whole logo using Xara X's vector tools. When finished, delete the bitmap and export your drawing as .xar

This way you will be able to import it into X3D in excellent quality.

If you don't have Xara X, download the 30-day trial from www.xara.com ...

http://www.yump.com/images/wolfgang_run.gif

You could save the scan as a JPG and use that as the texture on a simple shape in X3D. A circle or something - if necessary use a full stop from a font to create the circle.

This does not scratch the surface of the facilities in X3D but would give you a useable animation.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365