Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: waggon wheel

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

just a bit of foolin' round with textures - I'm not yet happy with the result, because I have to bend the wood for the wheel - not an easy task.

Maybe you have a solution? (ok, I could grab my camera an go hunting to an old wooden waggon wheel - the only problem is to find them in our high tech world...)

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waggon-wheel01.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	8277  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

just a bit of foolin' round with textures - I'm not yet happy with the result, because I have to bend the wood for the wheel - not an easy task.

Maybe you have a solution? (ok, I could grab my camera an go hunting to an old wooden waggon wheel - the only problem is to find them in our high tech world...)

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Like this one too, nice job! Is that a bump map on the wheels? looks good. I don't think you'll have to go find an old wagon wheel, all you need is a wood texture that doesn't have 50 boards, kind like this one. A little playing around in PS6/PSP7 and you'd have a nice, old wood texture for around the wheel

Steve Newport
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	18753  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Nice texture Steve [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jens what about first making the round part square and applying a texture,then stick the texture to the square and move the points into a round shape by selecting in f2 mode the only points you see with the selection tool with select visible elements only turned off.Not positive but the texture should follow the geometry and may give you the result you are looking for.If not try using the spherize filter in PS 6 or the shear filter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You might find a pic of a wagon wheel on a photo site or a western site I assume.

Cheers.

Stu.

jens,

Looks great so far. I started working on a wagon wheel, but I got sidetracked and never finsihed it.

You might try selecting the polys on each side and and make a selection set for these. Then make one for the wheel part. Then you can try different mapping techinques for the sides and the wheel part.

I am thinking you are using Cinema4D, if not then the above info may not work with your software.

--Randy

... that the wood on a wagon wheel does go "around" in the direction ot the wheel's shape? That doesn't seem familiar to me, but i haven't actually seen one close up for many many moons.

Tried using a wood texture that doesn't have such a visible/striking/pronounced grain pattern?
    Perhaps one that's a lighter colour wood? Like maple or something...?

Without being too particular, i think your wheels look fine to me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Nice job on the whole thing thus far.