Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well... I was thinking. to put pages into sub level directories and sub-sublevel directories is not very wise. Every time you add or delete a page you will have to rebuild the menu for that directory. If you have four levels then you will have four separate directories.

It is far better to put you graphics in as many subdirectories as you desire and keep all your HTML for the root. Then you could usea nd call just one menu.

Personally, I have had about 5000 HTML pages in the root with no problem.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

It prevents you from organizing the site by grouping related pages together. I'm still not sure you completely understand my request, because you reference multiple menus. I only use a single menu for the entire site, and include it in all pages.

I don't want to have multiple menus, and have to update each one individually if I want to make a change, because I can use an include file and change the whole site's menu with that single file.

>> It is far better to put you graphics in as many subdirectories as you desire and keep all your HTML for the root. Then you could usea nd call just one menu.

I have one menu now. I thought I'd give Menu Maker a shot, but it seems to be the only program I've used that can't support a link from the root. I figured since it's part of the W3 HTML spec, MM would support it.

hi LqdEngineer,

A computer does not need to have files nested in subdirectories to work better, only people need that. You will also find that it makes uploading changes a royal pain when you nest pages in subdirectories. An example of what I am saying is here... BHD There are about 1500 pages in the root and it takes about 10 minutes to update all the pages in the site (22 Meg).

As an example. Create 10 subdirectories and 5 sub-sub directories in each subdirectory. For a total of 50 directories. Create 10 blank pages in each sub-sub directory and 5 pages in each directory,for a total of 550 pages.

Now upload all these to the sever...

After that...

change every other page to say "hi". Now try to upload all your changes 1 directory at a time. You will still be posting changes tommorrow!

On the other hand... If the modified files where all in the root, all you have to do is sort by date, and upload the latest ones only... 3 minutes tops...

Do not make things harder than they need be.

Maybe, then, that doesn't make sense to me because I don't develop locally. I make my changes on the server, and I have never really had a need to update more than a few pages at any given time. My server is on my LAN, so throughput is a non-issue for me anyway.

It is much easier for me to manage pages using folders, because if I need to change something, I can open the folder, Ctrl-A and open all the files at once. All the files in that folder are all related, so I don't get anything in my editor that I'm not interested in. Otherwise, I'd have to scroll through all (1500 in your case) files in the root and manually select the pertinent ones (ASSuming, of course, that they're all named appropriately so I can find them easily).

Really though, to each his own. How you do it shouldn't make a difference because they are both acceptable methods. I just think Menu Maker should support both instead of forcing someone in to doing things a new way when they've been doing it their way for XX years.

NEver seen this post... Sorry... Nothing came up new for a few days. Try the following... To navigate out of the sub-sub-sub directories...

../../../yofile.html

That might help you a bit more. One of the other posts, here in the forums had one guy post the page out of the manual. That stuck in my head. If I can find the post, I will post a link here for you.