Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2D challenge

This was an excellent idea Dale, I had fun playing with 2D shapes and whatnot. Mindyou like Steve mentioned in his post, it was harder than I thought. Then I remembered some shapes and things I did a while ago when I was just messing around and that seemed to fit the bill.

What I really like about challenges is that they do just that, they often challenge you to try something new or something that you maybe wouldn't have tried otherwise.

With the attached image the shapes mostly have flat fills and transparencies. (Couldn't resist going 3D with the frame though).

BTW sorry this is a little late, been a bit busy.

Regards

Su
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abstract.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	16686  
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

it makes me wish I had come up with something like that. The detail is so intricate. I keep finding new directions that the lines go in. Although I am anxious to see the new challenge I think I probably have one more 2D trying to get out of me for this topic.

Dale Fipp...

Love the image. Very intricate, nice colors, and the frame makes it look like a photograph of something you did by hand. All together a really nice piece. Portfolio stuff in my book.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I have to agree the design is really first-rate, and the frame is great!

Looks just like a matted and framed print. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

You would see this hanging in some professional office, maybe in the president's office.

WooHoo! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Say, what font is that you are using for your signature?

And could you post a larger version of your image, pretty please???? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Yes, how about a larger one!!! The details really make it special!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

... Dafipp, RAMWolff, Dale and Maya ... for the really nice replies.

I had fun with this and am already experimenting with some more along the same lines.

Dale - not sure which signature you mean. The white one is my own handwriting, which is usually pretty illegible, the copyright info is mostly in Kelt which is a truetype font. I'm very fond of 'Celtic' knotwork artwork and so this font appealed to me.

The President's office, yikes!

I did wonder when I was doing this whether this sort of thing might work as prints. I've had a few prints done before which I used to sell at shows/exhibitions etc; it was a lot of work, but it is something I've considered doing again especially now with the internet. Mind you that's not forgetting my experiences of translating computer graphics to print (digital) which has been somewhat fraught with problems (mostly colour rendering and contrast and now most recently 'banding')... sigh. Maybe it is something to think about in the future.

Dale & Maya - Bigger? Okay how about this. I did try it bigger but still couldn't make out all the detail and due to all the many crisscrossed shapes and lines this image is pretty heavy kb wise. So I have made it a bit bigger in dimensions and added a couple of cutout 'zooms', which I hope will give you an idea of the tiny bits.

Many thanks again for your kind comments.

Regards

Su

[This message was edited by Su Lawrence on March 20, 2002 at 19:24.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abstract-Bigger.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	12939  
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Great image Su ... and also lots of neat "abstract" images here. Just wondering if we can reveal what our image was suppose to be soon ...

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

you left the burners on, on your stove. : ).

I like your technique allowing the lines to have varying thicknesses. Did you break them at their nodes (edit points) and then apply a brush stroke?

Well, that's happened a time or two John [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ...the swirl design I wanted to look just casually drawn and not "perfect" in symetry, so the lines had a brushstroke applied, but I didn't break any nodes, the illusion is that the lines vary a bit, but actually they don't. Thanks for your comments!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for posting the details of your design Su, the close ups of the extra colors, etc...are wonderful!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain