Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2D challenge

I've been thinking about this for some time; to create a compelling image with simple geometric shapes or variations of them, and using transparency, gradients, whatever, but keeping the entire piece 2-dimensional.

I don't have my idea totally worked out, but here is a preliminary concept, to stimulate ideas.

Dale

[This message was edited by Dale Landry on March 13, 2002 at 13:41.]

Hi Dale,
    This strikes me as background stuff. Where you might have a strong geodesic object in front. Maybe a building.

I like your idea. It is very pleasing. Not too noisy, and it has an interesting color scheme. I like your eye for layout.

I am interested to see what this talented group of folks produce in response.

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Randy Allen

"Wherever you go, there you are."
    Randy Allen

Randy Allen Photography

The idea being to make a piece that stands by itself, as a compelling image, but keeping it mostly two dimensional, and with simple shapes.

It's somewhat minimalistic.

I know this sort of thing isn't for everyone, but this type of art has always fascinated me, such the art of Seymour Fogel, Mondrian, and Vaserely.

You art school graduates probably did this in Composition 101, but I've never been to art school, so I like to explore different types of art that intrigue me.

By the way, my original image doesn't really produce a flat 2D effect in every area, and that is because I used transparency quite a lot. In the geometric abstactions I've painted with acrylics, I've adhered to strict 2D, with no transparent effects at all. The use of transparency is a little looser, and allows for some interesting effects, so I thought it would be more fun than strictly opaque shapes.

Dale

A few examples:

Seymour Fogel

Stuart Davis

[This message was edited by Dale Landry on March 12, 2002 at 19:58.]

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squares.jpg 
Views:	964 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	370  

Finally a challenge even I can participate in. My first ORIGINAL.

Jack,
    How do you like my walnut frame? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dale Fipp...

Update Note:
    Changed to gif format with less reduction.
    I'm playing with this picture in case you turn it into a 3D converion challenge. Learning more and more.
    Thanks!

[This message was edited by dafipp on March 13, 2002 at 14:42.]

Name:	abstract.gif 
Views:	892 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	1405  

... I had thought about it too! It could also be neat to see what people could create with a fixed/pre-determined number, and types of shapes.

I love this stuff!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Definitely something new for me, but I liked it!

Both Dales, looks good! And you too Ross

Tell me what you think, nice idea Dale [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Steve Newport

Name:	abstract.jpg 
Views:	830 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	16287  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Especially that the less skilled amongst us, including me, can participate.

I used to practice these compositions with construction paper; I'd cut out a bunch of shapes and start arranging. Loads of fun! It's much quicker with Xara X. I'm in abstract hog heaven.

Dale Fipp......, I like it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Maybe you could save it with a bit less compression, so that we can see it in all it's colorful glory. Also, images with a lot of flat color can be saved in smaller files with better resolution, in the gif format.

Ross, your drop shadows are 3D devices, though I do like your image. Though it may appear that I used drop shadows in my composition, I did not.
    Maybe see if you can make it more 2D. Just a suggestion. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve, your image is really great! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

And Risto, I am anxiously awaiting your offering. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Here's another one I tossed together to show that these images don't have to be complex to be interesting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

meant to say something in my last post, but I also am awaiting Risto's post!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-