Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is my first project using my newly bought 3d software Truespace 6.

http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/tru...ship_test5.jpg

I've been working on this a few days. The textures are only temporary as I will make custom ones after the model is complete. I will try out layering a dirt and 'weathering' (exhaust marks, damage marks etc) texture on the parts too , to give it more of a used look. the lighting needs some work too and I'll add localized lights to add colder fainter glows to area away from the main light direction (etc).

Here is the model in the program workspace

http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/tru.../workspace.jpg

I plan to add some more elements to form a scene but that's later.

I thought of the ring shape after thinkng of the particle accelerator rings built under ground in places. I thought maybe this ship could use a technology involving the collision of matter in a round track and using the energy released as fuel. But I think now the ring design is more of a device for creating a sortof controlled singularity or rift in space into which the ship can "fall" and reappear in another location much faster than normal motion. Not quite like warp speed as that involves still involves travelling (faster than light). The ship has 6 propulsion ports facing for and aft (as to come to a halt from great speed, a ship needs to decelerate as well so engine thrust needs to be applied in that direction at the end of a trip while using conventional movement ... the ship could rotate 180 degrees I suppose to carry out this but I liked the idea of engine ports facing forwards too).

Anyway, this pic took a few hours to render believe it or not and it's just a test. I think I have some objects there which are adding more time to the render than should be. The windows are rectangles just slightly jutting out from the surface and each has a setting to emit it's own light. Perhaps I have them set to cause shadows or something which would probably bog things down.

I'll make a copy of the file and delete the windows and try rendering to see.

I'll post more refined pics when finished

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

This is my first project using my newly bought 3d software Truespace 6.

http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/tru...ship_test5.jpg

I've been working on this a few days. The textures are only temporary as I will make custom ones after the model is complete. I will try out layering a dirt and 'weathering' (exhaust marks, damage marks etc) texture on the parts too , to give it more of a used look. the lighting needs some work too and I'll add localized lights to add colder fainter glows to area away from the main light direction (etc).

Here is the model in the program workspace

http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/tru.../workspace.jpg

I plan to add some more elements to form a scene but that's later.

I thought of the ring shape after thinkng of the particle accelerator rings built under ground in places. I thought maybe this ship could use a technology involving the collision of matter in a round track and using the energy released as fuel. But I think now the ring design is more of a device for creating a sortof controlled singularity or rift in space into which the ship can "fall" and reappear in another location much faster than normal motion. Not quite like warp speed as that involves still involves travelling (faster than light). The ship has 6 propulsion ports facing for and aft (as to come to a halt from great speed, a ship needs to decelerate as well so engine thrust needs to be applied in that direction at the end of a trip while using conventional movement ... the ship could rotate 180 degrees I suppose to carry out this but I liked the idea of engine ports facing forwards too).

Anyway, this pic took a few hours to render believe it or not and it's just a test. I think I have some objects there which are adding more time to the render than should be. The windows are rectangles just slightly jutting out from the surface and each has a setting to emit it's own light. Perhaps I have them set to cause shadows or something which would probably bog things down.

I'll make a copy of the file and delete the windows and try rendering to see.

I'll post more refined pics when finished

Nice start there. I like the textures, even if they are just temporary. Looking good.

A FEW HOURS to render??? At what resolution? If it's at the resolution of the image you posted, something's definitely off. This thing should take at most several minutes to render (I'm not that experienced with Truespace, but I can't imagine the renderer is that slow). Check if maybe you have raytrace refraction on the window glass or something else that would slow it down that much.

Nice work!

Brett

Nice original design David [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hi Brett [thumbsup]

Stu.

Great design David!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I'll be eager to see your completed version too!!!
    ---Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Hey Stu, how the heck are ya? What do you think, would it take you that long to render this in C4D? Just curious, I know I would hate to wait that long just to test textures and such.

Brett

Hi bud...yep still kicking [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

No it would take a few minutes in C4D as well,depending on the output res as well.I am not familair with Truespace either but 2 hours does sound pretty steep indeed.

Stu.

Hmmm, yesterday what I had done rendered faster than that. I also tried rendering just selected objects and they rendered within seconds even at 4x antialiasing. I saved the file as something else and started removing items ... but it didnt seem to do much until most were gone. But I selected the main ship parts (minus the windows and some other stuff) and saved them as a separate object and loaded that and it render quicker. Maybe I did something to the scene file such as some enormous quality settings I can't seem to locate ...I'll probably open the ship parts in another file and start lighting again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I selected all the objects and saved as an object file and broguht that into a new scene. Then I tried rendering. Still slow. I deleted the windows ... still slow. I deleted a number of round or curved objects and now with still the major objects left it takes 7 seconds to render at 2x antialiasing. I wonder if maybe I had given those rounded object way too many segments to their curves.

Anyway, I'll start adding details again and keep that in mind [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

It sounds like you may have accidentally sub divided with a high setting David.Have you got an info window etc where you can access how many polygons are in your model?

Stu.