Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Vectra3D

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I stumbled upon this very interesting product: Vectra3D. Here's a description they wrote:

The Vecta3D Standalone tool is a one-stop solution for creating amazing 3D images and animations for Macromedia Flash and other popular vector formats. Vecta3D allows you to create finished 3D vector artwork in a small fraction of the time that it takes to generate it by hand. Now, results which previously took days can be achieved in a few minutes! Vecta3D is a must have tool for anyone who creates vector graphics, whether for web design (Flash, LiveMotion), print design (Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw) or engineering.

Features:
    - The ability to interactively create amazing 3D images and animation sequences using imported 3D models or vector artwork and output them directly to either Macromedia Flash (.swf) or Adobe Illustrator (.ai) formats.
    - Import models exported from virtually all popular 3D programs, either .3DS from 3d Studio Max or DXF’s from InfiniD, Amapi, Raydream, Bryce, Poser, Carrara, Truespace, StrataStudio, Extreme3D, LightWave, Inspire, Softimage, Maya, Rhino3D, Hash Animation Master and many others!
    Handles ultra complex models. Vecta3D can efficiently "vectorize" far more complex models than any comparable product.
    - Render complex geometry as Wireframe or Flat-Shaded and extruded geometry with full gradient support and true 3D lighting.

Pretty amazing for just US $58.95 !

Note - be sure to check out all the examples on their site. The quality varies widely - I wouldn't want you to just see the bad ones.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on April 28, 2002 at 06:17.]

I stumbled upon this very interesting product: Vectra3D. Here's a description they wrote:

The Vecta3D Standalone tool is a one-stop solution for creating amazing 3D images and animations for Macromedia Flash and other popular vector formats. Vecta3D allows you to create finished 3D vector artwork in a small fraction of the time that it takes to generate it by hand. Now, results which previously took days can be achieved in a few minutes! Vecta3D is a must have tool for anyone who creates vector graphics, whether for web design (Flash, LiveMotion), print design (Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw) or engineering.

Features:
    - The ability to interactively create amazing 3D images and animation sequences using imported 3D models or vector artwork and output them directly to either Macromedia Flash (.swf) or Adobe Illustrator (.ai) formats.
    - Import models exported from virtually all popular 3D programs, either .3DS from 3d Studio Max or DXF’s from InfiniD, Amapi, Raydream, Bryce, Poser, Carrara, Truespace, StrataStudio, Extreme3D, LightWave, Inspire, Softimage, Maya, Rhino3D, Hash Animation Master and many others!
    Handles ultra complex models. Vecta3D can efficiently "vectorize" far more complex models than any comparable product.
    - Render complex geometry as Wireframe or Flat-Shaded and extruded geometry with full gradient support and true 3D lighting.

Pretty amazing for just US $58.95 !

Note - be sure to check out all the examples on their site. The quality varies widely - I wouldn't want you to just see the bad ones.

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on April 28, 2002 at 06:17.]

BUT

It only renders in a cartoon type of format from what I can see. I think I will pass on this one. Price is right but no realism in the shading engines. Too bad!!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Most of the examples on the site are 'cartoon' rendered. It also renders wireframe views and can render gradient fills. Even such non-photorealistic rendering could be amazing in the hands of a creative Flash/SWiSH user.

I made the attachment from a couple of screenshots taken during the site's Flash presentation.

Regards, Ross

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vectra3d.jpg 
Views:	823 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	16846  

You're not going to get a smaller file of an animation on the web and never a complex 3D model in vector format. That looks like a great app in the right hands. Some amazing stuff could be achieved!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Looks interesting Ross. Thanks very much for the info and link.

I have been considering getting a simple 3D app, the integration with Flash is a definate plus and the file sizes look good! Have to download the trial version and have a go. I've been meaning to get Xara 3D for a while now after looking at the things that are done with it and at these prices I can get both!

BTW the fish animation was mesmerizing, even though I have a phobia of fish ... no don't laugh .. although everyone does when I say that!

Thanks again Ross.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

is unfortunately just a interactive Flash presentation. A good presentation but I'd rather have a real demo vesion of the software to try.

It looks like you can extrude & bevel text or other shapes, and animate the results to a flash .swf file. It appears that may be the limit of the 3d creation within the program. On the otherhand you can import 3d models and animate them with Flash output. It does not appear to have the lighting controls of Xara3d.

Regards, Ross