Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am a dedicated Corel user, and have been since V7. I upgraded to 11 shortly after it came out and have run into a couple hickups.
    1) As I continue working the program continually slows with each process I run until it eventually crashes altogether.
    2) Every once in a while I wont be able to copy to the clipboard and have to restart the program to get that function back.
    3) I sometimes lose transform functions when working with placed bitmaps and/or guides.
    4) I cant import pdf files since adobe came out with acrobat 7, does anyone know if a filter update is coming out to handle this?

I have: Corel 11 with service pack 2, WIN XP PRO, P4 1.70 GHz and 384 MB RAM.
    IP

I am a dedicated Corel user, and have been since V7. I upgraded to 11 shortly after it came out and have run into a couple hickups.
    1) As I continue working the program continually slows with each process I run until it eventually crashes altogether.
    2) Every once in a while I wont be able to copy to the clipboard and have to restart the program to get that function back.
    3) I sometimes lose transform functions when working with placed bitmaps and/or guides.
    4) I cant import pdf files since adobe came out with acrobat 7, does anyone know if a filter update is coming out to handle this?

I have: Corel 11 with service pack 2, WIN XP PRO, P4 1.70 GHz and 384 MB RAM.
    IP

I have found the free tutorials here invaluable especially this one and it may help solve a lot of your problems. In the tutorial, he recommends 99 levels of undo for vector object and 10 or 20 undo levels for bitmaps, depending upon your RAM this may be too high. He also shows you how to allocate more memory to Corel which also helps alot. There are any number of useful hints in the tutorial.

To be quick, under the Tools menu and General, you can set your undos much lower, under memory, you can set up your primary and secondary scratch disk and how much RAM you want Corel to use. If you have a lot of RAM, a gig or better, 40% but if you have 1/2 a gig or less use 60%. I have a gig of RAM and have mine set at 60% anyway because I prefer it that way and Corel really doesn't bog down. I am using 12 but it ought to work for 11. What is happening when you reboot is you have instantly refreshed your RAM which means to allocate a lot of RAM to Corel DRAW makes sense.

He makes other suggestions but remember that your settings will take place the next time you enter DRAW and will not take place unless you do this one last thing, you must not hit the OK until you go back to the Document tab still inside of Options and click Save options as default, and select everything, it doesn't hurt and that way until you are really comfortable with making changes, you know it will work.

Now say Ok.

Exit and restart DRAW. Start new doc, and check to see if your changes took. If not do it again. Or you can go to the site I told you about here:Free tutorials

The one you want is: Options Using CorelDRAW's Options Dialogue Box. You must download a free player also to play the tutorial. You will be glad you did. I've seen them all, they are all very much worth the time to see, even if you know DRAW very well, he has wonderful techniques. The link to the player is on the top of the page, the "CCP" player.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thanks for the info - I know it took a while to get back, but thanks none the less. I have tried all that the demos had to offer and have come to the conclusion that I need meore RAM.

As a side note, I didn't have this problem while using Corel 9 on the same computer, is version 11 more of a RAM hog than 9?
    IP

What kind of a computer do you have? Because not processors are created equally with graphics programs. AMD Athlon is awesome, but having a good graphics card and a gig of RAM is good too. I have described my system and it has few problems running anything.

I have a P-4 at work, and even with a gig of RAM, and the same settings at work that I use at home in order to optimize the system, it bogs down and needs to be restarted at times. Of course, I am working on the computer all day long, but when I freelanced out of my home, I used the computer just as extensively and rarely had to ever restart.

How fast if your front side bus?
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP