Hi everyone,
I'm new to pixl, and I have a large project ahead of me. The problem is that I've noticed early on that PI seems to eat up a huge (unreasonable to me) amount of RAM, dipping heavily into the virtual memory.

I've got 512 Meg on the system, and with nothing else running, I look at the Windows XP Task Manager in the Processes tab, and PI (Iedit.exe) has about 40 Meg memory. Fine. But when I open a simple 20 Meg .jpg, it goes to over 400 Meg--and I haven't even started to edit anything. I've turned the Undo completely off because I thought this was the culprit, but it's not. When I start cutting and pasting and doing filters and all, the pagefile goes past 2 Gigs of use.

I guess my questions are:
What's up with that?
and:
Is this common--do you all see similar behaviour? Should I just accept it and maybe add memory to the system? Or is there some setting I should tweak? I don't have any system problems that I'm aware of--all other programs on my system run extremely fast and efficiently. But when PI runs, I stare at a hourglass and listen to the disk churn.
Thanks for any insight...
--Jim