Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Myoh My. Very, very nice! Was that drawn in Rhino?

It sure looks like you will have some great ideas to contribute to the new 3D forum when it becomes available.

First let me agree with Allison's critique.

Plastic grapes make poor wine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Having spent the last 16 years living in the California wine country, Napa and Sonoma counties, I never saw a grape that looked like that. Wine grapes in California are basically two colors, pale green (white wines) and from deep rosy red to deep purple black (red wines).

The grape rendered by Jay must have been one of the Rhone or Loire varieties.

Grapes are covered in what appears to be a fine white dust and which is actually yeast, which causes the crushed grapes to ferment and convert the sugars in the grape to alcohol. The yeast is more solid in places and less opaque in others.

But then I prattle on.

Still a nice technical rendering of a grape-like object, Jay.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

John,

no, I developed the basic shapes in XARA 2.0 and completed the rest with Cinema 4D XL - C4DXL does have the advantage to import *.ai files!

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

This is more or less how I remember California wine and table grapes.

Because of the long and hot growing season, California grapes achieve more intensity of color and flavor than grapes grown in the cooler parts of Europe. Grapes used for the production of sparkling wine (Methode Champanoise)are the smallest and are not much bigger than cavier.

Red wine varietal grapes are larger than Champagne grapes but smaller than White wine varietal grapes. All are considerably smaller,and rounder than table grapes.

Grapes are not shiny, unless of course as Ms. Moore observed, they are made of plastic. They are dull and slightly translucent. A drop of water running down the side of a red table grape, leaves a dark trail where the actual grape color shows through the chalky coating of powdery yeast.

Before there was Xara, there was wine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grapes.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	5863  

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Gary,

thanks a lot for your info. Unfortunately I never had a chance to live in a wine county :-(

However, there are some grapes in Europe that are dark yellow to orange, relative small, shape as your table grapes, and they are used to make 'ice wine' from them. They are harvested after the first freezing, and the harvest is very small. Just a frew tons. If you happen to get those on a market - wow, they are the best you can get.

And if you are lucky (and have the funds!) to get a bottle ice wine (usually sold in 1/2 liter bottles), you know you will have one great evening in the winter.

jens

(tried my best to finish the grape...)
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> However, there are some grapes in Europe that are dark yellow to orange, relative small, shape as your table grapes, and they are used to make 'ice wine' from them. They are harvested after the first freezing, and the harvest is very small. Just a frew tons. If you happen to get those on a market - wow, they are the best you can get. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then I would change the tilte to Ice Wine Grape?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

OK. I've got to plug Gary Preister's CorelDraw Studio Techniques book. So no credit to me for "STEALING" his design ... only to Xara and Gary himself.

If you haven't seen his book, you should look for it (and buy it). Although its based on CorelDraw, I was able to use C....Xara to reproduce just about every step (the shadow was manually created, not a Xara X drop shadow). The key to his instructions are his observations of the how objects deal with light reflecting off their surfaces and how to apply transparencies to simulate this. Those observations can be used in just about any graphics program, but Xara has such a nice clean way of applying them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WineGlass.png 
Views:	316 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	8802  

Jens, Ice Wine is truely the nectar of the gods. Being FBI (Flat Broke Indian) I can't afford it here in the States, but I was very fond of it when I lived in Germany during the last half of the 1970s.

I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys an excellant wine. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I've been looking at jens' grape for a few days now and it has struck me that it looks just like a Bullace plum. I get a harvest of these every autumn and the colour of his grape matches my Bullace plums exactly. The shape, oddly enough, is just right for the Victoria plums which also grow in my garden.

PS, I'm no gardener, I just like plums! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.