Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

AS I'm looking at getting XaraX shortly, when is the next release due?

Must admit have lost track of CorelXara, Xara2 and now XaraX! If anyone has a timeline would like to see when and why the changes.

I'm not one to chase the latest, still sitting on Corel7 - If its not brock don't fix it. Tried to show a friend how to do something in his Corel8 that I'd done in Corel7 and was shocked that I could not find the options I wanted (they were there just re-arranged).

Turan

Here is the link to the WIN 2000 upgrade page. Gives some pretty good info what to expect and system requirements. I had no problems at all I think because I did not have many "wild" programs installed.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...de/default.asp

I reboot Windows for a living
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

This may be possible in the current XaraX but when making a shape transparent it would be nice to be able to control the transparency or the outline. It seems to me that sometimes it fades alone with the fill as you increase transparency and other time it does not. Or maybe my memoiry is faulty. (like my spelling)

I'm not exactly the world's best graphic designer, very far from it but one thing that does tend to annoy me is that when you use a gallery fairly regularly, as I do the layer gallery, you have to move the thing out o' the way.

Although I was on the Corel Users Assn committee I'm not exactly a fan of Corel Draw (I'm a Ventura user). I've got Draw7 but haven't a clue how to use it and have no desire to learn. There is though a feature of Draw that could be useful with Xara galleries and that is the roll-ups and the ability to roll them up when you don't currently need them thus keeping them on the screen ready for dropping down when needed. I understand they may take up quite a bit of memory so I wonder if anyone would agree - or am I missing something.

Trace

I also find it annoying to move the galleries out of the way, but what's the difference between minimising / maximising a roll-up and closing / clicking the gallery button?

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

raffon, since Win95, ctrl+alt+del has given you the task manager, which allows you to "end task" of any program running. However, in any Windows version, you have to exercise patience, because you can lock your computer as it tries to process all of those commands you've just given it to take a high dive into a low well. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

My neighbor is a beta tester for Microsoft and he rebuilds his computer for a living. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

However it has really never worked like it does in NT 4.0 or 2000. Ever get the Blue screen of death "system busy waiting...." after doing a c+a+d end task in WIN9X, and then have to power off or hit the reset button? At least WIN NT and 2000 do not crash the system after ending the task, at least not in my experience. I guess since most of my clients are industrial based Architectual and Engineering firms, I have not had to deal with WIN9X as often and probably have selective traumatic memory when it comes to dealing with WIN9X. Of course everyone has different system configurations which tend to create the endless glitchs users face evert day. Keeps me busy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

W.K. Clark

I had a discussion last night about the different WIN's. Someone said: NT4 is only installable on a FAT16 partition and thus limited to some 2GIG. Yes, said the other one, but 2K has IE integrated in it, and it is IE that makes 98 crash. I said that it is not IE but WinExplorer that causes the problems because it is a shell in which Win98 works. Some two bottles of wine later we talked philosophy...
    But it haunts me. If I ever upgrade, what should I do then? Is 2K as stable as NT4?
    Just a question...

If you have a fat16 partition, it can only be 2gig. NT 4.0 NTFS (NTFileSystem) will allow an 8gig bootable partition but can partition drives upwards of 36gig, not sure the limit, but will not read fat32 partitons which are native to WIN98. 2K does away with the 8gig bootable partition limit (mine is 30gig) and will read fat32 so you can have a dual boot system with 2K NTFS and WIN98 fat32 and be able to read the fat32 data from the 2K side. It is much more stable than WIN9X or NT 4, IMHO. I'm sure the Knowledgebase on MS.com has all the answers.

W.K. Clark