Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sorry Tracy

Don't get angry, get even :-)

I usually start each tutorial with the same mantra. But in case this is your first tutorial, here are my usual set up instructions:

We will be working with Pixels as our Units of measurement and use 0-255 for our Color Units. If you are new to Xara here is how to do this.

Right click on the page and select Page Options from the pop up menu. In the Units tabbed section, select Pixels from the drop down list and check the radio button next to Color Units: 0-255.

Go to the Grid and Ruler tabbed section. In the Major Spacing text entry box key in (exactly like this) 100pix and in the Number of Subdivisions, text entry box, key in 10. Press OK to close the dialog.

This help?

When you talk about attibutes, can you be more specific?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Early So Humble...

Gary

Thanks for your prompt reply but quite frankly, it doesn't really help as, since attempting very your very helpful tutorials, I've always had the default settings as you have mentioned.

My problem is that on many occasions I've noticed that you appear to get a different fill applied whenever you draw a shape and I've had to assume things and hope I get the colour etc right. Generally I've succeded but tonight I finished up with black where you have a whitish colour (in the crescents). I know there is a setting in Options where you can have each shape drawn to have the previously applied fills and lines applied and I did at one time have that set. Eventually I found it somewhat annoying as I was never sure from one session to the next what colour fill or line I would finish up with. Now I'm back to a black fill and line.

No, I was really just wondering how you have XaraX setup to handle fill and line attributes. Perhaps I ought to try that Options setting again and perhaps I'll have more success.

Incidentally, when I went to the guest tutorial page I couldn't see any mention of Brian Etherington's tutorial; only on the Home page was it mentioned. Any chance you can point me in the right direction please. Many thanks.

Tracey

Forgot to thank you for the toot, you put a lot of work into it, clearly, and it took the better part of 2 days for me to get through it. Then I uploaded it and displayed it in my blogger as I've done with all my successfully completed tutorials, but again I noticed it doesn't look as good on the internet as it does in Xara. How do you usually export images like these? What settings do you use?

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Gary - I just read through your eye-bulb tutorial and WOW! it is great. When you did your great aqua gel tutorial in April I didn't think you'd be able to top it for a long time - it made something complicated easy to understand. I think your eye-bulb tutorial is the best ever! It communicates very well your process and the image created is stunning. I especially liked seeing how you did the threads. You wrote how the tutorial was for the intermediate user - that said, I think it does show the novice that complex drawings can be developed from basic shapes and effects. Everyone should try building a bulb, or at the very least an eyeball. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Maybe next month you should take it relatively easy - give yourself a break! You deserve it.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

You have done a great job Gary. This is quite a tutorial, I have learned a lot so far. 2 hours and I only got to page 9. Looks great so far. I will have to try threads later. What could be next for July ? Maybe I will get this one done by then. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

bcdeb had made it into the Tip of the Week along with a killer tip from Kate Moir at Xara for creating truly interactive fills. Check it out.

TIP of the WEEK

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Early So Humble...

I found that bcdebs tip for adding color stations to a fill to be very helpful. I had some trouble using the drag and drop method. But by clicking on the fill line I can add a color station very easy every time. Thanks Deb! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire