Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sci Fi City

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gidgit:
    oh yea man... there I am, Gidgit, comic book hero, standing high above the metropolis, just waiting for that evil gothwoman to come flying by...

Thanx Stu, I am going to study this for a while... I gotta learn how to create scifi cool enviro's for some of my critters

[thumbs up dude]

now then, perhaps you wouldn't mind breaking down thet multiiii layer stuff for us mortals to understand... is this likened to giving a car a couple of clearcoats or something, or is this likened to a scanline raytracer doing more than regulaar... or... [stu fills in this part )

thanx Stu

Wait till the boys see this... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Multi pass - Is a render setting where you can say to the renderer basically,I want one full rnder of my image,but I also want a slice of just the specular areas,or just the shadows,or just a depth pass.The multi pass is usually saved in psd format,then you open in PS and say you dont have bright enough specular in the image,well you turn on your spec pass and set t to screen mode and voila its brighter,no long render again,or you want to change the shadow color,well click on your shadow pass and adjust the color.It also has many other passes you can select as well,to me its kind of like digital grading where like if you have seen an image being shot on scene with a blue screen etc well chances are it will have a blue fill thrown across it sometime for night,or maybe amber for daytime etc as they do.The reason I am playing around with this mainly is because I hav a 15 inch monitor at the moment and its difficult to fit everything in.Effects houses mainly use multiple passes to give their images extra oomph

Stu.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary David Bouton:
    Stu--

That is _magnificent_ work, man!

My Best,
    Gare<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Gare,I cant wait for a 23 inch LCD.....

Stu.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Earl Wilson IV:
    That is pretty cool Stu. Any background info for the image? Like... Earth, 2140. (or some story?). Very neat! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thnaks Earl

Ya Earth in the future or something like that bud.I wanted to add a sheet of plstic blowing in the wind kind of deal,I just couldnt work out the material well enough though,it just looked pooey...tried fresnel tried everything.

Stu.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soquili:
    Stu, great image. How do you do all that detail? Is it alphas?

Soquili<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya Soquili lots of passes and aplhas also.Because I have the dreade 15 inch monitor I would turn off all of the objects in the same file,except lights that is then add a new piece using the same light rig,render it and drag the file into my main image in PS,the lighting usually fit beautifully as well,then add color to tweak.For instance the image above has a light green fill over everything,with a smidegeon of dark dark blue over the sky in the rear.

I do want to re use and tweak the above image at a much larger size,or depth really,so I will probably use the above image as a background

Stu.

yea... so now I knows Funny thing, I was just doing the same thing with a PI generated webpage idea... a compilation of 2d mixed with 3d over multiple layers in this exact same method... just never really put the two together re this cityscape of yours

thanx man, it only makes sense to layer for this sort of shot... could be some with fadeouts, some with... on and on it goes till it either looks just right, or your outta ram. hahahaha...

wowsers... hey, this is one very cool shot... the depth and angles are superbly laid out, and the perspective from this is simply outstanding... I mean ya look at it and see a cityscape... and not everyone can pull this off, with quite this effect...

Thanx Stu

[This message was edited by gidgit on July 28, 2003 at 23:22.]

Thanks ...youre welcome as well.

Its also a process you can use in AE after rendering in C4D as well bud.

If you have the LOTR special edition DVD check out the FX part and "digital grading",thats really interesting.

Stu.

Thanks for the explaination Stu. I'll have to try using that technique.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update