Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How to make texture 3D on face of spinning logo?

apologies for adding this request on to another thread firstly.

I used the spinning coin tut to make our football club logo spin,

Now i would like to try to make the text and dragon appear to extend out from the face of the logo.

Whilst researching how to make the original one im pretty sure i came across a thread with a similar effect but i cannot seem to find it now. Does anyone remember that thread or is there a tut you could point me to please?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: How to make texture 3D on face of spinning logo?

Hi Neil,

To have the text and dragon in relief (extend out from the circle shape) they must be vector shapes.

In Xtreme select a font that matches the logo text. Follow Egg Bramhill's video tutorial for fitting text to a curve http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns9jreRjY7A.

Import your logo an then use the Shape Editor Tool to draw shapes over the dragon's shapes. Once you have the shapes group them so they can be handles as a single shape.

With your text on the curve and the dragon group position them as they appear in the logo. You may need to resize one or both so they fit together nicely. Group the dragon group and the text. Copy and paste into Xara3D6.

Show the cursor in Xara3D6, it should be at the right side of the group you pasted to the work area. Hit the enter key to move to a new line.

Switch back to Xtreme and create a circle large enough to cover the text + dragon group. Copy the circle and paste into Xara3D6.

Within Xara3D use a shift key and the cursor keys to select the circle. Change the extrusion so that it is smaller than the default extrusion on the Text+Dragon.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

That's probably the way that I would do it but you can also select the [button] option (on the left hand side) instead of pasting in a circle.
    True love is the ultimate truth

Nadger, this tutorial may help as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNeB8dxQCu4
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

hi

thanks for the help guys,

i am way out of my depth here im afraid, i bought xtreme and i have had a few goes in it but its nothing like the only other program i've ever used (paint.net) i dont understand any of it, ive watched several tuts but none of them seem to be aimed at complete beginners, they seem to be expectant of a certain level of understanding already.

i really am a beginner with no previous knowledge of this type of work. i've never "made" anything with PDN, only using it to resize photos, add references on maps for travel instructions and the like.

i wont give up but i have to admit xtreme has completely wrecked my head up to now, and as i dont have the time to sit for hours with it, im finding it very difficult to understand.

Neil

Neil it is difficult for some of us to know how to provide more help. Most of us have been drawing with pencil and paper since before we can remember. Using Xara Xtreme is an extension of that drawing skill.

If you could ask a specific question then we could provide specific information.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

ok Bill,

well i got stuck at the second part of your post above, i had my logo imported in to xtreme, but that shape editor tool seems to have a mind of its own?

i just end up with lines everywhere and none of them anywhere near where i first put them? in paint.net you put a line in and use the nodes to manipulate it, xtreme does this too but then once i get one part right i go to do the next and it messes up the previous bit i'd just done. does that make sense?

when i said about the tut's i watched expecting a certain level of knowledge, i mean that although the authors talk over the video, their cursors move and click things to change tools, or drag items in etc without the viewers being able to see what they are doing. so to me it appears that the people making the video help files already expect the viewer to be of a certain standard and know what they have chosen, clicked, imported etc. (which unfortunately i dont)

dont worry i do realise that im at a distinct disadvantage compared to 99.99% of people on the forum due to never having done anything like this in my life, like i said i wont give up but things you guys seem to do in seconds leaves me baffled for days.

I do like my spinning logo so maybe it will have to stay at that point in its design for a while

When using the [shape editor] on nodes you may find it easier if you select the [cusp join].
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cusp-join.png 
Views:	445 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	56232  
    True love is the ultimate truth

Quote Originally Posted by nadger View Post
    ok Bill,

well i got stuck at the second part of your post above, i had my logo imported in to xtreme, but that shape editor tool seems to have a mind of its own?

i just end up with lines everywhere and none of them anywhere near where i first put them? in paint.net you put a line in and use the nodes to manipulate it, xtreme does this too but then once i get one part right i go to do the next and it messes up the previous bit i'd just done. does that make sense?
    Perhaps this will help (or else I am on the wrong track):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Image1 USE for Xara posts.png 
Views:	466 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	56234  
    -=Bob=-

Yikers! Seems like Salaam responded while I was making my "tutorial".
    -=Bob=-