Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi!

I am scanning some maps, which I will use with GPS navigation software. My scanner scans the images with True Color and, after that, I reduce their color depth to 16 colors, in order to reduce its file size. This process, however, spoils the image’s colors, producing ugly map appearance.

Since the original maps use only seven or eight colors, I am wondering if I couldn’t define a special palette with these colors and then apply it to the image. The problem is: I don’t know how to do this.

Could anybody give me a hint?
    IP

Hi!

I am scanning some maps, which I will use with GPS navigation software. My scanner scans the images with True Color and, after that, I reduce their color depth to 16 colors, in order to reduce its file size. This process, however, spoils the image’s colors, producing ugly map appearance.

Since the original maps use only seven or eight colors, I am wondering if I couldn’t define a special palette with these colors and then apply it to the image. The problem is: I don’t know how to do this.

Could anybody give me a hint?
    IP