Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have got Corel Draw 8, but not installed at the moment (bit harsh on the disk space).

All i want to do without installing cd8 is importing some of the cdr's into Xara.

However, when i try it complain it's not CDR file.

Any suggestions.

If it comes to the final straw of installing cd8, so be it.

Hopefully,

M

I have got Corel Draw 8, but not installed at the moment (bit harsh on the disk space).

All i want to do without installing cd8 is importing some of the cdr's into Xara.

However, when i try it complain it's not CDR file.

Any suggestions.

If it comes to the final straw of installing cd8, so be it.

Hopefully,

M

Mike,

I opened Corel's HUNTRESS sample file in CD8 (v 8.433), reduced its size a little and saved it. XARAX wouldn't open it, giving me an error msg saying the file format wasn't supported by any of the installed filters. I played around with the available "save as" options (thumbnail, bitmap compression, graphic object compression) and got the same error. I saved the illustration as Corel CMX and XARAX opened it just fine.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Mike,

I found a way to import Corel 8 files into both XARA 2 and XARA X. I opened a file in Corel 8 and saved it back as a Corel 5 file. It imported into XARA kind of okay but with a few interesting happenings. The clipart made it fine but the fonts used were changed into the default font in XARA. They were also out of alignment but could still be edited.

When I converted the fonts to curves before saving as a Corel 5 file, everything came in intact but of course the text could no longer be edited.

When I used cmx to export out of Corel and into XARA, the clipart was okay, the text was still editable and retained all of the font attributes except it was now paragraph text and had to be realigned.

There are drawbacks to any of these solutions, but depending on what you are doing, perhaps it will help you to accomplised what you need to do. Hope this helps.

Gary G

I guess it looks like an install of Corel 8 :-(

and cut 'n' pasting the clipart across from cd8 to Xara.

I hope the final release of Xara X will be able to import CDR's properly.

Regs,

M.