Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Triple display ... awesome! ... dang that solitaire game will rock now! ... hehhe sorry just felt like saying that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

Seriously , it all looks interesting and is something to watch for the future

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

hahaha, durn toot'n... listen Dave, you can insult my feeble art worx, perhaps even insult my better half, but taking pot shots at my favorite past time? why I otta...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

( painted just for you using ZBrush [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

but yes, seriously, this new card does sound awsome on paper, here's hoping that it delivers

[This message was edited by gidgit on May 23, 2002 at 02:55.]

Earl, thanks for illuminating me! But on the Tom's Hardware site, and also on Matrox (though I've only quickly peeked), I did not see anything about Parhelia's OpenGL features - have you read anything specific about this?

I fear I may have to get my hands on this baby sometime this summer . . .

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Earl, I just downloaded a PDF datasheet from Matrox, and it says Parhelia has "full OpenGL 1.3 compliance."

So maybe I got to enlighten you a bit in return? :-)

The totally amazing, partly very UI-annoying MojoWorld is OpenGl based, and its preview - what they call "Real Time Renderer" (hah!) is slow and ugly on my otherwise splendid Athlon XP1800 system. Hopefully, getting Parhelia might improve this?

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

David: "Triple display ... awesome! ... dang that solitaire game will rock now!"

LOL!!!

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K

Yup! You got it Klaus. The Parhelia is 100% fully optimized to hardware accelerate even the most demanding OpenGL applications. 1.3 is the latest software version of OpenGL, so this card does it all. And boy am I glad to hear that too. MojoWorld's "real-time" display would probably benefit greatly from this card (I've never used MojoWorld, so I couldn't say for sure - but any 'real-time' 3d app or interface would see a very large and significant speed increase).

Even if this baby costs $400-$500, it's well worth it for me. Right now, there are NO graphics cards on the market that excell at 3d rendering as well as displaying 2D graphics at professional quality. I get tingles every time I think about it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Earl, I get tingles every time I think about it too!

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I've read that the anticipated price is US $400 - $450 with shipping in earl July 2002. The analyst also expected that Matrox will soon after release a "lite" version with a lighter price tag.

Question: Would such a card make the most of a modest quality monitor or highlight its weaknesses?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

is a comprehensive article on the new card. A detailed walkthru of all the features and how they relate to other high-performance cards.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Now that was a good indepth review....thanx Ross...though I must say that upon reading the end summary I felt somewhat grounded...

Basically, with all the muscle this card has, there is very little that can/will make use of such...

yes triple head support would be kind of neat, but... the cost is pretty steep...if they allow this feature on a LE card then well, yahoo...

The only good point that I can come up with regarding all is that for those die hard Matrox user's who insist on having the best quality in display, this is good news for you... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I did notice that this article did not delve into just how this card would perform using 3D creation software... I suppose the whole world has gone to games... haha...

I will wait and see what ATI has in store to counter this advance from Matrox...

Thanx again Ross
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]