Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Ross...
    Although my effort may be no better, I wanted to design it because I didnt really like the original one with the old man. I agree with you that although it is a superb picture, it kinda suggests a painting program instead of a vector drawing program. In Xara's defence though, I can see why they have chosen it, as it highlights one of Xara X's main new features, the Brush tool.

What prompted me more was when I saw the splashscreen to the new Dreamweaver, which is very simple - a white box with an outline and a simple green abstract shape in the background, and the title lettering. It is really simple, but also really nice and effective. I don't really understand why Xara has put funny blobs (which have not dithered really well) and a hypercolour blue grid on theirs...

My vote would be to put a picture of that amazing microscope, or the lightbulb that appears on the Daily Tips. They could hire Gary, or the guy that has designed the Banner ad for Xara Modules, which is prob. at the top of this very page atm. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] to do it. That banner ad is *very* nice.

I do not like your splash page. I do not agree also that XaraX is a vector program. It is a great tool for creative and wonderful graphics. That is why the splash screen must be encouraging example and challenge for experienced designers.

There are many great examples of Xarart in the Gallery, and these might all be taken as a splash page.
    But, personally, I wouldn't want them as splash page (the old man neither) because at that place they would not be inspiring but imposing. I prefer starting from a white sheet of paper when I draw, because I often "see" vaguely what I want to achieve, and the old man interferes with my vision, as would any other work, including my own and irritates me as much as the "loading" of unnecessary Flash Splash pages on sites.
    When I want to work, there may be nothing in the way.

So, for me, the simplest of splash pages would still be too much. It shouldn't even mention the name Xara X, because I know what I open.
    And if there should be something, me too I would prefer the neutral style of vector line art with some desaturated colours to the too complicated and full colour work of art.

But it is not my choice. The ads with their moving parts on this site already irritate me too.

When you want to show what you can, you always show what you can't.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Why can't Xara and other software designers code their splash screens to provide for user preference? Why not have in the options the ability to choose from a few different Xara provided graphics or "browse" for your own. The windows desktop wallpaper is an example of what I'm talking about. The "none" choice should be there too.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross, I support your great idea of having user-configurable splash pages! And most emphatically also the choice of having "none".

That clumsy, poor picture of the "old man" irritates me every time I start up XX.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")