Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have been informed that there is a way to prevent users of selecting and copying your images on your web pages. I have been searching for a way to do this and can't find it anywhere. I was wondering if someone here might know how this is done.
    Thanks

There are quite a few ways to do this.

For example, disabling the right mouse click or placing a transparent gif over each image.

However, whatever system you use all images have to be stored on the local hard drive for viewing and can therefore be saved from there.

There is only one foolproof way to stop online images being pinched - and that is to not put them on the web!

You can look at watermarking them through programs like PhotoShop or Fireworks which may deter people from copying them but that's about it.

I have seen and tried image protection technology which made even screen grabs with the ol' PrtSc impossible. I was utterly amazed - there was only a white square where the protected image was! So this is damn foolproof. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name of this very fancy technology, except that it was an Israeli company, I think.

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

it's all basically self policing... there have been countless reports of images being used for commercial gain without the artist's knowledge and/or consent... heck I have even seen whereby a videocard manufacturer used an image created by the founder of ZBrush/Pixologic...the image was used on the packaging... so... yea, this crap happens, and... unless you catch them in the act it is futile, and even then it all depends on what laws are set into place in which ever countries and how far the arms of justice will extend cross borders to protect your rights (not very far).

Sounds interesting Klaus http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

than watermarking. Although I have no idea how they've done it, it seems to work well. Take a look at http://www.bobstaake.com/copyno/ which started as a Mac product and was eventually ported to Windows. I'd be interested in comments.

If you want watermarking, do look for "Tranz" at www.fvs.co.uk, which is excellent (no interest except I want it supported).

Jon
    Jon