Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi.
    I'm stuck with a problem.

I create a simple text graphic.
    I'd like to re edit the graphic later.
    When I open it, I get this error:

A problem was encountered reading layer "name of layer" because the layer is not a valid text layer. The existing pixel data will be used instead.

It opens, but then I can't edit the text.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave
    IP

Hi.
    I'm stuck with a problem.

I create a simple text graphic.
    I'd like to re edit the graphic later.
    When I open it, I get this error:

A problem was encountered reading layer "name of layer" because the layer is not a valid text layer. The existing pixel data will be used instead.

It opens, but then I can't edit the text.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave
    IP

hmmm... that's an odd one, and not an easy one to evaluate without a "hands-on" approach.

Is it possible Dave for you to attach the problem PSD to a post here? Make sure that it is not a saved version of the altered file; i.e. AFTER the type layer has been altered by PS. It should contain a type layer like you described above.
    If need be, create a new document containing a type layer that we can download and examine.

That's about all i can offer at this time, for this unusual problem.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

Surf to Adobe.com - Downloads Section - under Photoshop updates there is a small routine called RepairTypeLayer that will fix your job, written for PS 7.

I expect Adobe will include this fix into next update (possibly 7.01)
    IP

Yes do the above... AND... take note that i've seen/experienced this specific problem when opening files created with versions of PS older than version 6. Like opening a PS5.5 file with PS6 or 7 -- that same error/alert window appears. Though this is not really a problem, as PS6&7 are designed differently than the earlier versions. It's just a workaround solution.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP