Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, I've created a site. Added lots of meta tags and followed all the advice on making the pages search engine friendly i.e. text on the page inculdes repetition on keywords, alt text is in and has ey words etc, etc.

Now what. How many of you pay for addtional services eg to get listings of all the words people seach for (to help refine your text), or for multiple submisson tools (many sites say this is a waste as your better doing in manually).

What other tools do you use?
    What have you used/paid for and found they were a waste of money?

Turan
    IP

Ok, I've created a site. Added lots of meta tags and followed all the advice on making the pages search engine friendly i.e. text on the page inculdes repetition on keywords, alt text is in and has ey words etc, etc.

Now what. How many of you pay for addtional services eg to get listings of all the words people seach for (to help refine your text), or for multiple submisson tools (many sites say this is a waste as your better doing in manually).

What other tools do you use?
    What have you used/paid for and found they were a waste of money?

Turan
    IP

I just foolishly listed my site with a "FREE" web site listing service called USubmit.com

Result? I have been bombarded with SPAM, up to 100 messages a day and more from every web con man in the known universe.

You can find a reputable service that you will have to pay for and let them submit your URL, or you can determine which search engines you want to be listed with and go to their sites and submit your site from there.

Some sites, such as Yahoo, want to charge you a premium, up to $300.00 to list your site immediately, otherwise they say they might list your site in 8-12 weeks.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png
    IP

That's the sort of NOT news I was looking for.

What about these listings of top search phrase used etc. Did you just pick your own meta tags of the top of your head, or did you research?

Turan
    IP

But as I got the data below from them I'd better give credit to wordtracker.com

This and some more info was sent to me. It's not the clearest site so I'm not to sure if I get it forever or if I get it a few times then I'm prompted to pay.

Anyway, it makes me think - now I know what the top search words are so what? I see Joke is no.8 and that is greate as (because of my cartoons) I have that in my meta tag and the line "send me a joke and I'll make it into a toon" in the body of the doc.

But if I get lots of hits from people looking jokes not tell me jokes to draw then that is going to be a bad indicator of how popular my site is! So looks like this marketing bus is not straight forward!

Any tips?

Turan

. The top 300 surge report

These are the top 300 queries from the last 24 hours, taken
    from 6,191,752 queries, which represents the complete
    queries from the largest Metacrawlers on the web (Metacrawler
    /Dogpile etc..) for the last 24 hours.

Nos Count Keyword
    ===========================================

1 2525 yahoo
    2 2148 hotmail.com
    3 2061 hotmail
    4 2051 ebay
    5 2028 segway
    6 1852 yahoo.com
    7 1799 lyrics
    8 1725 jokes
    9 1705 google
    10 1696 www.hotmail.com
    11 1667 dictionary
    12 1509 Attorney/Legal
    IP

Get yourself listed in the Open Directory Project (dmoz.org).

This is a human run directory program. When you submit your site will be reviewed by a (human) editor, thus it may take a few weeks to get listed (dependant upon how large the category is).

I reccomend that you have a good look around the site first and choose the most specific category or you will risk being refused or will simply create more work for the editor because they will move you.

The Open Directory Project outsources it's data to over 200 different search engines, including Google and Yahoo amongst other major search engines.

It may take a while for your submission to spread into all the search engines, but once it does it should rank fairly well as the open directory project is well respected.

P.S. I do work as a volunteer editor for the Open Directory project.

Michael Ward
    http://LeighCenturions.net
    IP

Will do Micheal.

As an editor you must have a few other tools or tips on Search Engines.

Turan
    IP

My only tip to you is to work hard and be honest.

There are no tools that will help you! You might not like the sound of that, but it's true.

One of the best ways to get in the search engines is through the Open Dirrectory Project. The most important thing to remember if you submit to the Open Directory is that you should be honest.

Human editors will not fall for tricks like the spiders do. Be relevant, be honest and don't use tricks (esp. hidden text!!).

If you have relevant keywords in your body text (whilst not sounding like you'r ejust listing them for the sake of it) then you should rank well in the search engines.

It's simply a case of practice makes perfect.

Michael Ward
    http://LeighCenturions.net
    IP

Thanks for that tip.

I always try to be honest. However as I said above, its not a trick or a deception, its about carefully strcturing your meta tags and looking at the lists of the type above to get an idea about what people are typing. Surely these are good tools if you know how to read them and generate tags etc from them.

Turan
    IP

It is possibly worth commenting that you are trying to attract the right visitors rather than the maximum. Links on sites you visit may attact the sorts of visitors you are looking for as they have a common interest.
    Tony
    Tony
    IP