Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: page refresh

Hi all,
    I posted a while ago and aked how do you get your page to 'refresh' so that when people come to your site again the content is updated and not from their cache. I think Jen told me to put this in the head:
    <meta HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="Mon, 06 Jan 1990 00:00:01 GMT">
    The thing is it doesn't work. My page has frames though, but i put that meta tag in the frameset and every individual page, but i still have to tell people to hit refresh, which is a pain. Also i've never had any luck with the meta tag "no-cache".
    Is there something i'm doing wrong, or are these methods just not very reliable, or is my webhost doing funny things, or should i look at something else, like ASP or php or something? any help would really appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    IP

Hi all,
    I posted a while ago and aked how do you get your page to 'refresh' so that when people come to your site again the content is updated and not from their cache. I think Jen told me to put this in the head:
    The thing is it doesn't work. My page has frames though, but i put that meta tag in the frameset and every individual page, but i still have to tell people to hit refresh, which is a pain. Also i've never had any luck with the meta tag "no-cache".
    Is there something i'm doing wrong, or are these methods just not very reliable, or is my webhost doing funny things, or should i look at something else, like ASP or php or something? any help would really appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    IP

i forgot to turn html off
    here is the thingo:
    IP

"should i look at something else" Yes, You should. That tag does not refresh the page, it just doesn't cache what's on the page. If your visitor leaves and comes back to the page it will reload using that tag though (which can be a pain for your visitors if you have alot of graphics). There is some javascript that will refresh, run a search at the JavascriptSource page. I think that's where I saw the script.

Sorry I can't give you more.
    Jeff
    IP

Thanks,
    but that refresh script is actually not right for my purposes, it's a redirector.
    Basically it's my news page, i update it every couple of days, but most people don't see the updates because their computer loads the cached version.
    Any ideas?
    cheers,
    chuck
    IP

Sorry Chuck,
    Wasn't sure what it was for... try the info here Cache Tutorial . See if that's more along the lines of what your after.

Jeff
    IP

You can link to your news page as news.html?anything - ie stick a question mark after the filename and then put some rubbish in there.

You'd normally use this for passing variables from one page to another, but you can just stick anything in there. Browsers don't cache pages with ?field=value type suffixes as they would do a normal page
    IP

Thanks Daniel,
    Great Tip!
    I've seen that used alot, just wasn't sure what it was all about (now I do tho! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ). Also, Sorry Chuck, rereading this page it looks like I was making you jump through "hoops" and that wasn't intended.

Jeff
    IP