Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: SELECTION

Hi,
    Newbie here with a question.
    I've read in some books that try to show you some kind of special design technique,they ask you to make a selection with I guess the marquee too or selection tool.Why do they call this a selection when you're not selecting anything but the default background color of white that PS gives you when you start the application?

Very Confused,
    enzo@accesshub.net
    IP

Hi,
    Newbie here with a question.
    I've read in some books that try to show you some kind of special design technique,they ask you to make a selection with I guess the marquee too or selection tool.Why do they call this a selection when you're not selecting anything but the default background color of white that PS gives you when you start the application?

Very Confused,
    enzo@accesshub.net
    IP

Doesnt sound like a well written tutorial. I think I would be confused too. One of my favorite books on PS is the Wow book. It is like that too. Details are often skimmed over in the interest of brevity. The WOW books are so jam packed full of ideas...there is very little room to explain them thoroughly. I guess you have to use some common sense in these cases. I would think that you should probably select the layer that the artwork is on to make your selection.

Anyway, best of luck
    Beth
    IP

Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

Hi e9b9,
    What your doing when you use the Marquee tool to make a selection is creating a smaller selected area of your "canvas" to work on. Whatever you do will only work within that selected area of the marching ants.

Try this...... Use the Marquee Tool to make a selection in a File/New work area. Now pick a Brush Tool. Make sure you have a color other then white in the top square box below the tools. Then paint in and around your selection. Notice how it only paints inside!

Hope this is what you were after.

BR......
    IP