Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I had this problem when I had Windows98 and upgraded to IE6. Now I just aquired the same problem and I now have Windows XP which was installed clean on a formatted drive (IE6 installed with it). Internet Explorer 6 now won't open a new window from a javascript command at all. So on my own webspace, the painting photo pop-up windows won't work. I'm beginning to think IE6 is a major downgrade!

I use Opera 98% of the time but I like IE to work correctly for sites which are IE specific. Annybody else have this problem?

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

I had this problem when I had Windows98 and upgraded to IE6. Now I just aquired the same problem and I now have Windows XP which was installed clean on a formatted drive (IE6 installed with it). Internet Explorer 6 now won't open a new window from a javascript command at all. So on my own webspace, the painting photo pop-up windows won't work. I'm beginning to think IE6 is a major downgrade!

I use Opera 98% of the time but I like IE to work correctly for sites which are IE specific. Annybody else have this problem?

David

I went to this link

http://www.dkingdesign.com/paintings/portrait.html

And I get new window when I click on a photo.

I know Javascript is not the same as Java, but you don't get the Java VM with IE6 it has to be downloaded seperately, might this affect the operation.

Also it is possible to disable Java scripting in the security settings, perhaps Microsoft disables this by default, I can't remember if I enabled it or not.

HTH

Peter

The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

UPDATE:

If you have active scripting disabled in the security zone for the internet you get the problem you describe. On medium security setting it is enabled on High security setting it is disabled.

[This message was edited by Peter Clifton on March 21, 2002 at 11:56.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	13907  
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

thanks .... but I can't see how downloading java would help with this apparent javascript problem. Also javascript has no problem with Opera 6 or Netscape 4.7 . I have downloaded java anyway (hmmm XP doesn't come with java installed ... CALL MY LAWYER! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Oddly enough this problem appears to be a little deeper. When I go to my start menu and go to windows up-date, it doesn't open an IE browser either. This seems to fall into this same problem group of explorer not opening new windows from any link. Very odd and peculiar.

I have searched google groups and many people have said similar things about IE6 ... I'd love to go back to IE5 or something but perhaps that can't be done

I should explain that I've had XP on my comp for 2 weeks and IE6 was acting normally until a day or so ago.

works fine on my IE6 under Windows 2000.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

hmmmm .... I read this post here ;

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=po...sbbsa04&rnum=8

and it mentioned programns that can suppress pop-up windows. Then I thought .... Opera6! I had only tried using that setting from F12 in Opera just a few weeks ago which is pretty close to the time I noticed the problem with IE6 on my old win98 setup. I also tried this setting on my new WinXP setup this week. I have set this setting back to accept pop-ups but perhaps it did something to some settings or something on my computer. It's a thought at least and I will keep looking for info on this problem.

to allow for more windows to be accepted??? I got this program for that and the popups included regular browser windows too. So if I had it set for 3 windows it seems to be fine. Popups get turned off and I can open 3 browser windows.

When I had it set to 1 or 2 windows only I was frustrated and couldn't figure out why I wasn't being allowed on certain sites. It wasn't that at all, it was just that I already had 1 browser window open, so the program was shutting down any other windows that I would invoke. I reset the thing to allow for 3 windows and it's been fine.

Maybe set your settings to allow for 3 or 4 and see if that makes it better.

Just a suggestion.

PS: Just went to your site on the work computer, windows 98, IE 5.5, works great!!!

RAMwolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---