Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is what I find challenging {seascapes} because waves are very difficult to render.I couldnt finish this image off the way I wanted too because I could not adjust the levels or curves or mix colors.Can you do these things in Painter full version? I am assuming you can.

Stu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seascape_painter-copy.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	16142  
    IP

Hi there Kiwi (Stu) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] !

First of all those are just some beautiful images you've been pulling out of Painter Classic. . .

But once you get a full version of Painter, you'll wonder how you ever squeezed your creativity into Painter Classic when Painter (the full version) is so roomy and has so many fabulous tools. (this is in the same order of magnitude as switching from drawing with a mouse to drawing with a stylus and tablet.) (I've had very brief experience with painter classic. . . and it was ok but i was glad to get home to my Painter full version)

But to try to answer your question,
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I couldnt finish this image off the way I wanted too because I could not adjust the levels or curves or mix colors.Can you do these things in Painter full version? I am assuming you can. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

part one of your question, can you adjust levels or curves. Painter does allow you to adjust the RGB color curves. But currently, Painter 6 is an RGB program. ... so you would have to go to your other bitmap editor to do CMYK tweaking. But if your intent was to adjust RGB then yes, Painter 6 does have the ability to tweak RGB curves.

Athena steps onto soapbox for a brief moment

I hope Painter keeps its identity as a natural media program even if that means that it stays in RGB space.

Look at how hard the other programs that can handle non-RGB space try to be as effective as painter at emulating natural media. . . and notice how they never quite seem to jump over this bar. .. I kind of hope Painter 7 does not try to emulate Adobe Photoshop or Corel Photopaint in every aspect.

I mean, few people bite into a banana and expect it to taste like an apple. . .yet when it comes to other things some people expect one program to be the swiss army knife and do everything. . . .while that may be convenient to the pocketbook (sometimes), it can also encourage bloated, bug prone, and slow programs that do lots of things but few things well.

Painter does natural media very well. let Painter stay unique and don't try to make it into a photoshop replacement. . .it never has been a photoshop replacement before and should not be so in the future.

Athena steps down from soap box . . . ok maybe the moment wasn't so brief

uhhh what was the other question?

Mixing colors, oh yes. ..

Yes, Painter can mix colors. . . not sure what limitation painter classic is imposing on you . . . as far as color mixing. . . you mean painter classic doesn't have the circle of color (hues) with a triangle of saturation and white and black values in the center of the circle?

if you're talking about picking up a dab of yellow and then a dab of blue and smearing them together to make green then picking up a dab of white to make the green lighter. . . .umm no painter doesn't quite work that way. . . I'll have to do some screen grabs to show you . . . but i think you'd be happy with the color selection scheme of painter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

hope this helps,

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Thanks Athena.

I also hope that Painter 7 does not become like PS and vice versa.What I want to be able to do is to get them to work together in harmony.In PS I can paint but it doesnt have the same feel or flexibility or tools that Painter has so I decided I will buy Painter for the natural media side.

I do have the hue rings and color circle,but what I meant was the ability too vary the levels of the certain colors.I realize that Painter classic is about one tenth capable of what Painter full is able to acheive [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I am enjoying classic so I know I will really enjoy Painter 7,or I might just cave and get 6 anyway.

Also If I am sounding crtical of classic it is purely unintentional and I dont mean to be sounding like I am comparing PS with Painter either as they are like apples and oranges as you said and I agree completely with that.

Are you guys able to use mouse mode for painting in classic with Wacom tablets? I am assuming the fact that I cant is probably something to do with the fact that classic has less functionality on that side.I also installed the new driver and it didnt solve my problem,but I can live with that until I get Painter full [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Stu.
    IP

Kiwi,

I meant to mention . . . a couple of OSes ago, i sometimes would get the stylus to be out of synch (like about an inch to the right) from where it pointed to ... and I remember I was told by wise wacom users to find wacom.dat and delete it (it would re-build) and that actually would fix my problem.

Then I would be able to repeat the error if i say opened Painter, then realized I wanted a larger screen resolution) and switched (while the program was open)from 800x600 to 1024x768. . ..

But deleting the wacom.dat used to work. . . I don't know if that is what is causing your problem .

Since then, I always take care to switch to 1024x768 before going into painter.. . . or if i forget....I close painter down then switch resolution. . . .and I don't get those mouse shift problems. I always use my tablet in pen mode. mouse mode . . . is too tedious on a 12x12 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I don't know if this is remotely helpful but . . . it might be worth a try.

For what it's worth, my system is using an old Wacom ArtZII, and Windows ME.

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

it took awhile. best viewed at 1024x768

http://www.hotwatervenus.com

'66

[This message was edited by stecyk66 on April 30, 2001 at 04:21 PM.]
    IP

Thanks Athena I will try that.I use a Mac so the file will probably have a different name though right? Also I cant use a higher resolution as I have a neurological condition and the refresh rate really messes me up.

Athena on my tablet it is pen mode that is incredibly slow and tedious and mouse mode which zips around the joint,is it the other way around for you? Oh I use a 9 by 12 Intuos.

Stecyk very nice work indeed.Do you mind if I call you Ghi instead of by your last name? if so it isnt a problem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Stu.
    IP

Hi Kiwi,
    I am using a 9x12 and I am using the Pen mode. I hardly ever use my mouse or mouse mode on the tablet.
    How is your tablet set up? I use the Entire display and the aspect is set to fit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Stecy,
    You site looks GREAT!!! Your Art is beautiful, as always.

Greg
    IP

Hmmm.

Hi Greg.

When you use pen mode for your pen does it move really sluggishly and dissapear as soon as you lift the cursor off the tablet ie the cursor doesnt remain where it last was when you replace your pen on the tablet again? cant think of a better way to explain it sorry.

It almost sounds like pen mode and mouse mode are reversed from my machine to yours and Athenas?

This has me stumped as the pen set to mouse mode is the only way I can use it properly in PS or even AI.And in painter in pen mode it is extremely sluggish and the cursor dissapears,but in mouse mode it moves fine,but the painted line registers as inches away from where the cursor was last drawing.Oh and its the same with my airbrush as well.

Stu.
    IP

This is how I am currently set up,and this screen shot is the only way I can use my tablet productively.

Stu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wacon-screen-capture-1.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	17836  
    IP