Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zzzz

zzzz

[This message was edited by gmotto on July 17, 2001 at 14:41.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tribunal_small-web.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	8100  
    IP

zzzz

[This message was edited by gmotto on July 17, 2001 at 14:41.]
    IP

Greg!

That is such a fascinating image.

What are the two objects being weighed?

I had to pull up IE to see the caption.... ( definitely worth it )

A Tribunal of 42

That is such an interesting Name.

It feels like a very private story so I won't pry but . . . I'm sooooo curious!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thank you for posting it.
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Greg, this is so fasinating. So much to look at. I wonder too what did he do??? That must have taken forever to do..Just a grand image
    IP

the spolights?
    were they done with painter's lighting effect

what were the 2 or 3 bruses you used most in this image?
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

it's right up there with your 2 pictures from way back,

Angels
    The Beast

just makes you wonder. it's the mystery that keeps drawing me in.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] very well done

Athena
    Athena
    IP

Hi Athena & Dawnre,
    Thanks for the feed back and kind words.
    This picture is based very loosely in the Egyptian Book of the Dead. One of the trials an individual is put through to get into the After Life is the Tribunal of 42 gods. Before this Tribunal, the Truth of your soul, or spirit, is weighed against a feather. As I said this is a very, very loose translation. I started thinking about what that meant, what it would be like and what a scene it would be.
    The posted image has lost a bit of quality due to compression. The finished file size is 42M, (I didn’t plan it that way) when saved from Painter. I recently read a posting regarding files saved in Painter being larger than the same file being saved in Photoshop. The size of this file saved from Photoshop is 31.5M. (I think that was a post by Jinny Brown, I am not sure.)
    The brushes used were mostly Painter default brushes, Scratchboard Tool, Captured Bristle, Pastel Chalk. Liquid Smear, Smudge and Just Add Water. I used a lot of textures, and surface controls, lighting effects and any thing else I could get my hands on. At several points I had as many as 10 to 15 active layers going.
    When I started thinking about this picture I used Paulo’s Water Color brush to do the beginning lay out work. I also used it several times during the process. I think his brush is one of the better things to come along since Pop Corn.
    Thanks again for the feed back and kind words.

Regards,
    Greg.

[This message was edited by Monastic Bat on June 20, 2001 at 08:08.]
    IP

Greg,

Your painting is one of the most interesting and therefore appealing ones I've seen in a long time. It's visually appealing as well, in your use of color and lighting. Though I can see the type of lighting used when taking a longer look at the image, it's not distracting and works very well with this subject.

You probably did see me posting to a thread about the differences in file sizes saved in Photoshop and Painter. I've seen several threads on the subject over the past few years and, recently, people were having opposite experiences. As I recall, most found Painter files larger, and one said her Photoshop files were larger. To my knowledge, no one has figured out why this opposite experience occurs.

Just another puzzle to add to the long list. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

the answer to life, the universe and everything.

the judgement day is an archetype that goes way back. actually it is part of what we are. no doubt neanderthals and cro magnon homonids dreamed similar scenes... wha..? aw gee greg, now you got us all thinking!

well you did it once again man.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

stecyk66
    IP

Stecyk,
    The answer to life in the Universe is 42. I saw it on the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe, so it must be true.

Greg.
    IP