Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Hello

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking around the XaraX boards and admiring everyone's artwork for almost two months now and registered on the board over a month ago but had not posted until tonight.

I used the trial version of XaraX to do the Gel tutorial and it turned out pretty good considering I didn't know where all the tools were. Hahaha, not knowing where the described tools was rough and was a challenge in itself to find them.

The other night I was watching a couple of the tutorial movies on the 2nd XaraX CD and it showed repeating transparencies so I started fooling around with them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I've attached what came of it. Towards the end I thought this would make a cool "Galactic Confederation Insignia" and so that's what I named it.

I've enjoyed viewing everyone's art (& illustrations [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]) so here's my contribution.

Sincerely,
    -Troy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galfed_insig_1.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	13739  

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking around the XaraX boards and admiring everyone's artwork for almost two months now and registered on the board over a month ago but had not posted until tonight.

I used the trial version of XaraX to do the Gel tutorial and it turned out pretty good considering I didn't know where all the tools were. Hahaha, not knowing where the described tools was rough and was a challenge in itself to find them.

The other night I was watching a couple of the tutorial movies on the 2nd XaraX CD and it showed repeating transparencies so I started fooling around with them. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I've attached what came of it. Towards the end I thought this would make a cool "Galactic Confederation Insignia" and so that's what I named it.

I've enjoyed viewing everyone's art (& illustrations [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]) so here's my contribution.

Sincerely,
    -Troy

Glad you decided to step out of the shadow of lukerdom, Troy.

Did you notice in the tutorials that most steps include a small icon that looks a lot like the tool involved with that step? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I like your Insignia.

Good luck,

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Welcome aboard Troy!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Name:	troy.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	19571  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Name:	troy2.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	7396  

Gary:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Did you notice in the tutorials that most steps include a small icon that looks a lot like the tool involved with that step?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I did! Those are great and your tutorials are great but there were a few things in there that were description only that had me searching for a while. I'll have to look through the tutorial again. For a complete beginner it was rough & frustrating but equally challenging and I got a lot of satisfaction as I saw the image take shape. I've attached it and as you can see I did ok but I did make some mistakes, like the bent lines under the gel. I didn't make the text shadow either. I could not figure out how to select items below the top item either! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Now I know how to do that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I would have probably had an easier time if I started at the earlier tutorials but the gel tutorial is what got me to try XaraX. I had bought Xara3D 3.0 early in 2000 and saw the Corel Xara movie and thought it was pretty cool but the gel is what hooked me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Thanks for the nice welcome. I've enjoyed looking at your gel, disks, glass, wood, glass corn, etc. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-Troy

Name:	troy_geltab_1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	14949  

Thanks for the welcome Ross. I like your images. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] (I've enjoyed looking at your images too while being a lurker.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I made this image last year using Starbits to generate the galaxy and then PSP to put my photo and the galaxy together. The movie Contact inspired this one...

Take care,
    -Troy

Name:	collage_lone_pine_road_3_6inS_JC38.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	9990