Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

what a neon exciter is. I thought neon was naturally exciting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I agree that the image looks very much like a old radio tube --- but it isn't one. Likewise it isn't a 'computer virus bug'.

The device is made of heavy glass. It has an industrial use. In many of your homes (the older homes) there may be a similar device - they have been replaced by a newer technology so there are no similar devices in newer homes.

I don't really expect that anyone has ever seen one of these before --- but it is fun to play the guessing game.

I'll mention that the device I have continues to be rather dangerous even without being hooked up to electricity. I really shouldn't have it - but it is so cool I can't get rid of it. Oh - and it would be illegal for me to throw it in the trash. (Now does that have you thinking?).

mercury switch?

Oh... a neon exciter is the highvoltage arc device that gets the gas to glow when first switched on. Then a lower voltage can maintain the light.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

A fuse?

Solenoid switch? (whatever that is)

Neon tubes can be dangerous if they are the variety that use mercury vapor. This might be an old neon tube (which actually uses argon if it's mercury vapor). I use to blow neon glass many years ago.

My brother was in radar maintenance in the Air Force, and he brought home a microwave tube that was 18" high and as big around as a grapefruit.
    It would instantly fry birds that got too close to the radar.

And my last guess: a voltage regulator.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

It is indeed a mercury switch. Quite a large one - it probably has a tablespoon of mercury inside it.

My grandfather designed, built, owned, and operated a pulp&paper mill. He was a tough old guy. He looked hard like John Wayne and he was known by his nickname "Spike". The switch was something he kept in his desk drawer. No doubt it came out of a piece of machinery in the mill. I don't know if he did but I can imagine him playing with it while on the phone. It is a very comforting thing to hold. Made of very heavy glass combined with the flowing weight of the mercury makes it a very tactile object. It is also very beautiful.

I refered to similar devices being in older homes. I was refering to the mercury switches that are in older thermostats. If you have reason to replace your older thermostat and it has a mercury switch - please don't dispose of it in the trash. It is very bad for the environment. It should be properly disposed of. Make a few calls and find out what you should do with it. Thanks.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

My thermostat just went bad a few days ago, and I was peering closely at the mercury switch, to see if I could see a spark.

Duh!

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll