Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Re: Acrylic Beta (Expression)

A lot of designers use only Photoshop and/or Illustrator. I always read the british Comnputer Arts mag. It's almost always on Adobes products. Never on Xara or Corel Draw. Why? It's because Adobe is "Industry Standard" in the photo and printing industry. Now, when they own Macromedia, Adobe will become the one and only monopoly graphic software GIANT.

There certainly are a lot of very good softwares that are made by other companys. Xara is one. Acrylic is another. I fell in love with Acrylic the very first time I used it three months ago. Her is a link to some of my Acrylic images: http://www.bildsajten.com/acrylic/A1.htm

I am teaching Art as a profession and is freelancing as gfx designer, mostly interactive Flash, using Macromedia Flash and Xara and sometimes Illustrator for printed works. It's a pity Acrylic does not have the Flash export like Xara's got. But Acrylic is still beta. There will some surprises in the final release in october, I've heard.

As a true "flat" designer (only 2D) I need to use just Acrylic for print or for the web. No more switching between two or three applications. Acrylic makes a great workflow!

Of course the Industry Standard softwares will remain Industry Standard softwares for a long time. But Microsoft can make a breakthrough with this application since it got such a lot of promises for the future...

If you are interested, pleas follow this link:
    http://searchvb.techtarget.com/origi...116635,00.html

Sweedie and others

My review was based on using Expression Graphic Designer as a design tool. Obviously there are tools here that might make this product desirable for artists (as you have illustrated so well) and some of the photo tools are great as well.

But my evaluation of this product was in relation to the tools a graphic designer uses in the day to day world.

Exporting to PDF/X is critical these days for preparing a document for commercial printing. XGD did not produce a very good PDF file. This of course may be resolved before the final release.

As I mentioned, the text tool was lacking in almost every control that a designer would need, including the most basic control, line spacing. DRAW, Illustrator and Xara X all have much better text tools with perhaps CorelDRAW having the most sophisticated. And CorelDRAW 12 and Illustrator 10+ can produce an excellent PDF file. This is critical.

Considering that Microsoft has teamed with Adobe to produce Open Type, I would expect support for Open Type Glyphs. There was none.

My review was also based on Miscosoft targeting XGD to existing design professionals who are using DRAW and Illustrator. And in this context, I could not see any reason for these users to switch.

Another important capability of a mature application is Input and Output options. EGD was very limited in both categories. CorelDRAW is probably has the best set of Import and Export options but they could really use some help in figuring out how to organize the filters. Listing the filters alphabetically would be helpful. I'm not sure what their method is.

What it really comes down to is what you feel most comfortable using, and obviously, Microsoft can count on you as one of its first customers when the final product is released.

For me, while there are some useful tools which I might use for time to time, there was nothing here that would make me give up Xara X as a design tool for. I have used Xara X for about 10 years now as my primary design and illustration tool. But I also use Illustrator and CorelDRAW when the project I am working on calls for more specific tools. I also use Photoshop and Adobe InDesign as well as Acrobat 7. Each of these tools has features that when needed I use.

Gary

I'm just a user not a designer and use the application almost daily. Vector drawings and bitmaps strokes are edible. The curve tool is so smooth and easy. I do a lot of cartoons with it. I read in the Expression(Acrylic news discussion group) that there has been over 200,000 downloads, not bad. My humble site with 9 pages of cartoons. Starts here

http://www.artbygeotroy.com/html/cartoons.html

Default Check this out!

http://www.microsoft.com/products/ex...n/default.aspx

This link explains a lot about Acrylic (Expression) and what it was not so much intended to be "a tool a graphic designer uses in the day to day world" (for printing).

Gary, sorry for the misunderstanding of your evaluation of Microsoft codename Acrylic (beta). Maybe your evaluation should consider the intentions of the appplication? It would be more fair, and maybe Microsoft will set a new standard in developing gfx for the Internet and software applications using the XAML.

By the way; Acrylic got those tools for text handling:

1 Font
    2 Font style
    3 Baseline shift
    4 Leading/Auto Leading (line spacing)
    5 Horizontal paragraph alignment
    6 Size
    7 Tracking
    8 Horizontal scaling
    9 Normal/Superscript/Subscript

Not that bad after all - but I agree, in this beta it works a bit unstable. It will improve hopefully.
    Last edited by Sweedie; 14 September 2005 at 09:56 PM.

FROM THE MICROSOFT WEBPAGE:

"Your Creative Power Unleashed.

Microsoft Expression™ takes the many sides of your creative personality to all new levels."

Are they marketing to schizophrenics?

Sweedie

OK I see the line spacing portion of the text menu. My fault. It is kind of hidden away.

There is a button for justified left and right text but I do not see a control for creating a paragraph of text to a specific width. Is it there or is it missing?

And I see you can highlight text to the end of the line using Ctrl End. But what is missing is the ability to high light a word at a time, using Miscosoft's normal key strokes.

John-Very funny :-)

Gary

"But what is missing is the ability to high light a word at a time, using Miscosoft's normal key strokes." Yes, Microsoft "standards" would be handy. Anyway, this beta will improve until the Expression release in October, I hope. Texthandling is a bit too much "beta" right now.

My latest design (ad) made with Acrylic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softwet.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	20694  

Default Only vectors

This image was made with only vectors and some Live Fx filters with Acrylic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	@.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	20782  

Sweedie, how did you do that "sphere" effect? Is there somethig borrowed from the recent Gary's tutorial in XaraXone?
    Anyway: wonderful!

"Sweedie, how did you do that "sphere" effect? Is there somethig borrowed from the recent Gary's tutorial in XaraXone?"

That's right! I use Gary's tutorials as inspiration but I make my pix in Acrylic now. Basicly I made it the same way as Gary, but with about 1/2 of the effort. Acrylic is much easier to work with for me...