Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Rich,

You need to check out our moon shot thread. You might even find something interesting there.

Thanks John,

I look in to see how your doing.

I was enjoying the the burst of orange leaves blowing from a bush as it was hit by a wind gust. The leaves formed a swirling cloud, and then were magnetically attracted back to the bush where they began feeding on the clusters of blossoms.

I posted the fly maps at IDA.

Rich

Acrylic Expression.....Like it was said b4 glorified paint. piece of junk very user unfriendly. MS should can it and do what they do best put out broken os's and give us a lifetime of security updates
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

Mike S

Have you actually tried the program?

To quote a poster off another forum:

I cannot speak to MS's intentions or strategies with Acylic, however did you
    know that Expression 3 was a sucessful and well loved graphics app in it's
    own right? Many people are trashing this new app, without stopping to
    realize:

a. this is a beta (some would say alpha) release
    b. that it's actually based on an existing product with a solid track record.

Expression 3 "Strong Buy Recommendation"
    http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=15353

Creating Custom Strokes in Expression 3
    http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...e.jsp?id=26800

I HIGHLY recommend for everyone to see the e3.pdf that comes w/ Expression
    3.3 download, for some really good tutorials and explanation of what makes
    this app so unique and powerful.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/ex...ion3_home.aspx
    Amanda

Yes i did. And in my opinion it is horrible. i understand it is beta, but they are using expression as a base code and it is very unuserfriendly. i didnt mean to upset anyone but it is just one mans opinion. i know people that say the same thing about Xara photoshop and justabout every other one you can think of. again if i upset you with my comments i appologize
    Mike

Mike,

To follow up on Amanda's post.

I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss it, just because it doesn't fit your style/way of working. But yes, from a personal perspective I do find it "awkward" (mainly the interface, path operations and lack of "push" function with the pen tool). But in all honesty, I'm sure most of that "awkwardness" stems from the fact that I never gave it a real chance (and it doesn't really fit with my way of creating my simple drawings). However, if you treat it, and use it, like you would a freehand painting/drawing tool (especially with a tablet), I'm sure you will get much more out of it. If you are in to a lot of path operations (slicing and dicing) instead of drawing/painting, to get your picture together, I'm sure there are more efficient applications. For me it's Xara X.

The main point of the application is to mimic the looseness and style/feel of natural media - in a vector format. If this isn't your cup of tea, then you should probably look elsewhere. But I don't think it's very logical to dismiss it outright simply because you don't know how to use it, or if it doesn't fit your way of working.

If you can't see ANY benefits (and future possibilities (unless they mess it up)) with this application - well, then you really haven't given it an objective look. Calling it "horrible" and a "piece of junk" is not very nuanced or helpful to someone stumbling upon this thread.

I'm sure you didn't mean to upset anyone with your comments. But for someone just reading your post, it wouldn't surprise me if some people took your negativity, and outright dismissal, personally. If something is "horrible" and a "piece of junk" it's not too far fetched to imagine that people using this application successfully - are in in other words being called imbeciles (or what have you) for torturing themselves with it?

Also just one man's opinion.

A balanced view Risto, thank you.

Drawing & graphics programs are personal preference - I love Expression and Xara X, but dislike Illustrator & Freehand, but I wouldn't dream of using such negative adjectives in such an offhand manner.

Amanda

Amanda i didnt mean to offend you or anyone else. Risto i agree with what you are saying. but i just voiced my opinions no one elses. except about the glorifeid paint. i have used core draw with no problem xara and even illustrator without a problem. i never claimed to be a artist or a graphic designer. i am a hoppiest and i enjoy trying to software. was a corel photopaint person for many yrs. theni found jasc paintshop pro easier to use and now i use photoshop. someone should have put a post in the stickies about having personal opinions.i am sorry again for having a opinion. i will just go back to lurking sheesh. and it isnt a offhand manner either. it is the way i talk. i enjoy that gift i have about being vocal and not just sitting by and conforming to everyone else's standards so there was no need to make a personal attack like that about me.

i am done with this post so go ahead say what ever back as i wont reply. Risto thaks for being the oice or reason and understanding what i was saying. once again SORRY
    Mike

Mike,

"Nuanced" is the keyword here. You have many times said that you have merely scratced the surface with Xara X - how would you then quantify the time/energy you have tried to learn Expression?! See?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion... Yes, I could probably have all kinds of opinions on different brain surgery procedures too, but perhaps they wouldn't be all together "informed" ones (all the time )?!

"Going back to lurking" because of this thread would be a shame.

Mike S

I'm not saying that your opinion was invalid or wrong - it was the manner in which you expressed it that I had a problem with.

I apologise if you felt I was attacking you - that was not my intention.

Shall we agree to disagree and shake hands

Amanda