Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,

i am using xara x as my main tool for creating logos.Everything is fine as long as it's about exporting to .gif with transparent background.Most of my logos consist of text with a graphic.

Now the big problems start when trying to export to other formats like .ai, .tif, .eps, .wmf etc.
    No matter what i do, after exporting and either reimporting into XaraX or importing/opening in Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop etc, the file looks crappy in one of these ways:

- If i have exported to .tif, logo looks fine but the background is not transparent,i.e. even if i have scaled down the page to the size of the logo the background color seems to be exported as well.
    - If i have exported to either eps or ai, what happens is that if the logo includes shadowed text, that shadow in eps appears as a simple (black) box, even if i have converted text and shadow to (editable) shapes before exporting.

In other words, no matter what i do - when exporting to anything else but .gif the logo doesn't look like within XaraX anymore.

I need help on this immediately, as most of my clients so far only needed files for web, but now start asking for print files.

Please please help, i'm totally lost here.

Hi,

i am using xara x as my main tool for creating logos.Everything is fine as long as it's about exporting to .gif with transparent background.Most of my logos consist of text with a graphic.

Now the big problems start when trying to export to other formats like .ai, .tif, .eps, .wmf etc.
    No matter what i do, after exporting and either reimporting into XaraX or importing/opening in Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop etc, the file looks crappy in one of these ways:

- If i have exported to .tif, logo looks fine but the background is not transparent,i.e. even if i have scaled down the page to the size of the logo the background color seems to be exported as well.
    - If i have exported to either eps or ai, what happens is that if the logo includes shadowed text, that shadow in eps appears as a simple (black) box, even if i have converted text and shadow to (editable) shapes before exporting.

In other words, no matter what i do - when exporting to anything else but .gif the logo doesn't look like within XaraX anymore.

I need help on this immediately, as most of my clients so far only needed files for web, but now start asking for print files.

Please please help, i'm totally lost here.

Try exporting it as a PNG file. This format has really replaced TIFF in many applications (better compression) and offers full alpha-channel transpency support. Almost all other apps suppory this file format as well.

Charles

Charles Moir
    CEO Xara Group Ltd

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

or export as Xara X *.eps, text converted to curves. Xara X *.eps writes excellent eps files, but it seems that Illustrator - depending on the version - does have some problems with it. This is not Xara's fault, it's the wanna-be-industry-leader fault

Because I deleted Illustrator from my systems, I can't tell you which version will work flawless.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I have some links in the Xara FAQ about this (man I need some time to update my site) issue, try this link:

Xfaq Export

Dave Zubrowski

Xara FAQ
    Dave Zubrowski

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jens g.r. benthien:
    or export as Xara X *.eps, text converted to curves.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where can i convert text to curves? In the menu it only says "convert line to shape" or "convert to editable shapes" but where can i convert text to curves?

Thanks,

Frank

Converting to editable shapes is same as converting to curves.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Where can i convert text to curves? In the menu it only says "convert line to shape" or "convert to editable shapes" but where can i convert text to curves? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you export your objects or drawing, a dialog will appear. Check the 'Export text as curves' option (see pic below).

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eps-export01.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	3894  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Thanks all for your effort, it's appreciated.

Now, i did try the png way before posting here, and that works quite ok, however as most of my (small/mid)business clients still seem to prefer formats like .eps or tiff, i don't think png will be enough.

So - if i export to Xarax eps but Illustrator doesn't show it correctly - which other tool i can use to control if XaraX has exported 100% correct to eps?

Also - maybe some other logo designers here can give me a hint which formats (besides .gif of course) you usually deliver your logos in ?

Problem really is, although i own almost every graphics software that is out there, XaraX has turned out to be most easy one to handle for me in terms of the logo creation itself.So i really don't want to have to switch to Illustrator etc only because of the xaraX export problems.