Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all.

In the past I’ve had problems with CD12 (& CD11) and stuck with CD9. Recently I decided to give CD12 another try with the SP installed. I’ve had it installed for about a week now and I’m finding it quite reliable so far. I do have several issues that may or may not be part of the design.

1… I can use Snap to Grid to draw objects of which the edges of an object snap to the grid lines, but when I just move an object, the edges do not snap to the grid lines. The point where you select the object snaps to a grid line, not its edges, as in CD9.

2… At last Corel have put the Envelope “Create envelope from” button on the property bar, but…. When you select an object to use as an envelope, the shape jumps to your object, but pressing Enter does not apply the envelope. I’ve now discovered that clicking one of its nodes will apply the effect, but this is inconsistent (it seems dependant on the mapping mode). The docker works just fine.

3… It seems you can no longer record scripts. You can record VBA macros, but the dockers for this, and the process of replaying is terrible. Most frustrating is the fact I can find no way to assign a recorded macro to a shortcut key, or add it to a menu as was possible in CD9. Am I missing something.

Sark
    IP

Sark

Ok, snapping,

This has now reverted to the more reliable one node to many destination model, as in CorelDRAW 9 SP2 with V8 compatibility mode and earlier versions.

There were too many problems in complex drawings having the many nodes to many snap point model introduced in V9 and continuing through to V11.

I have the option show snap location marks active, which helps me

tools/options/snap to objects

and check 'show snap location marks'

It is 100% reliable as you describe, there is only one source point to snap when you pick up the object. It is always accurate, I could never get the other snapping mode to work reliably.

I still use the envelope docker for pretty much all functions in Draw, seems to work much as it did before.

Yes CorelScript is 'deprectated' that is to say it may not be around much longer, VBA is currently the preferred method for automating Draw. To assign any macro to the toolbar you use

tools/options/workspace/customize/commands

Select macros from the roll down list and drag an entry on to a toolbar.

With the macro entry highlighted you can also assign short cuts or alter its toolbar appearance from the various tabs in the same dialog.

HTH

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Peter, Hi.

I’ve now resolved the first problem (snap to grid). It appears the SP did not install properly due to the installer needing to be on my HD (it doesn’t install properly from a CD-R). Now that it is properly installed, this issue has been corrected. This was listed in the SP file as one of the problems with the initial release. Object bounding boxes are now recognised by snap to grid. And yes, Peter, I agree the snapping in CD12 is how it should be designed, just had a problem when working with grids.

One other minor issue is that the option not to have the blue title bar on floating dockers doesn’t work anymore, but I can live with that. Rendering of extrudes other than simple rectangles, is absolutely terrible, but this isn’t something I ever used, but you do wonder why Corel bother with it if it isn’t going to function in a usable manner.

Will take a look at the macro options tonight. I felt there had to be a way to do this, just couldn't find anything in the help files to explain how.

Overall, CD12 is now running on my system as stable as CD9. Hopefully it will remain this way.

Thanks again for posting, it's much appreciated.

Sark
    IP

If I need 3-D type, I also don't especially like the extrude for the same reason, but you can create 3-D with blends, and with perspective and everything, you can use gradients on them and all kinds of things, it is much more flexible. And there are no lines where you don't want them.

The advantage of the extrude I have found is to find the right angle you want to build your 3-D rendering, it makes it easier to create the right blend. I look at is as a construction step. Of if I use the extrude at all, there is so much added to it, that it is hard to see the extrude underneath.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Yes, you're right. For outline shapes you fill yourself, it works just fine. Just a shame it doesn't do everything it's supposed to.

Sark
    IP